AVIC411.com

NOT Impressed!

So I've had the F90bt 2.0 in the 08 F150 for over a week and just can't get used to it. My 05 currently has a D3 in there and I thought it was just the comfortableness of a familiar system but the F90 hasn't impressed me. Maybe there's an answer to this but here are some concerns:

1. Can't change the Nav voice to the female without that weird monotone voice that is there.

2. Screen has too much glare and really hard to see during the day not to mention it smudges way more than the D3.

3. Ipod doesn't get recognized sometimes. I'll have it plugged in then dash into the store and it doesn't see it after starting the truck up again.

4. In the D3 you could tell the system the speeds at which to calculate the route based on what MPH you drive, not in the F series.

5. Use of the main menu too much. Canceling routes used to be a couple of buttons but on the F series I have to go all the way back to the main menu.

6. System is still insanely slow, I couldn't imagine what the original version was like.

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them all right now. Is there anyway around this stuff? I figured the F series would be everything the other other ones had plus more...

I have a few pieces of feedback for you:

1) Not sure about the voice, I just deal with the males voice. You can always hack the voice to be one of the other available voices (see the hacks forum)

2) That may be the way the truck is, not sure how to correct glare.

3) If I load my iPod once every few weeks with new music it usually doesn't lock up. It has in the past, but I also have 2 different iPods that I interchange: 120gig classic for music and vids, and a 4gig nano for new music and podcasts.

4) Did you hook up the VSS when the unit was installed? I installed mine and had to take out my cluster to tap into that lead.

5) There are quite a few shortcuts to get to delete route. I hit the menu button, then the destination button, then delete route and viola.

6) I used the memory mod in the mods forum to allot more memory (ram IIRC) to the programs, thus speeding the unit up significantly.

I have been around car stereos for quite some time (installing and competing in stereo competitions for over 15 years) and this unit, aside from sound quality with discs (Eclipse has Pioneer beaten in this category hands down) is everything I have hoped for. I prefer to have the ability to adjust the unit to my liking and sound tastes, but I will also sit and tune/adjust my HU for hours on end because it is in one of our demo/shop cars.

-Gabe

Okay so I'll deal with the voice and yeah the glare thing is pretty picky but meh. I didn't install it so I'm not sure if the VSS was installed but then again how could I tell? The guy who installed it did the mod to have it do everything while in motion so I'm sure he would have if I knew how to get to it...

Think you could point me in the way of the memory mod? I'm browsing the mods forum now but nothing yet.