AVIC411.com

ive seen a couple of threads on here with people trying to figure out how to get their hard drives hooked up to their systems. a lot of people say that the 2.5 Hard Drive's require more power than the F-series usb port puts out, so people end up getting one of those y-cables to supply power to the hd and use the other end to let the data flow. this seems like a decent idea, however the cables seem to be grouped improperly, forcing you to have wires exposed if you choose to have your usb cable running through your glovebox, as you are forced to plug the cigarette plug usb adapter in, and have that cable running to the glovebox while the hard drive sits out in the open.

some people just use thumb drives, or SD cards.

i have around 130GB of mp3's, and I want them all on one storage device, and i want to plug it into my usb port, and preferably not have to think about unplugging and replugging everytime i turn the car on/off to get it to recognize. ive seen that people are modding their glove boxes, or trying some of the low power drives.

Since an SSD doesnt have any moving parts, it requires less power. I know they are expensive right now, especially for the size that i am looking at, but it seems like until they release the 128GB thumb drives, the SSD's may be a reasonable solution once they come down in price.

whats important to me is a clean look.

i hope what i said before makes sense in terms of running cables... lemme throw up a makeshift picture real quick to explain what i am saying about how i dislike the y-cable idea.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2586/lolicandraw.jpg

*for some reason my picture is cut off, so i linked it above*

lolicandraw.jpg

I make a DC 12v in my glove box with 2 usb plug ( $20). or my old 120 gig G5 ipod video which i hardly carry around anymore cause o the size so i leave it in my gloves box.

i have a total averseion to anything apple related. i own an itouch, but it was given to me as a gift. i never use it because its only 8gb and its battery dies too quickly.

i decided to do what you did after reading wiretap's step-by-step thread.

he put dual cigarette lighter adapters in the glove box with dual usb ports. my local mom and pop shop said they'd install it for me for $65.

i think im going to be satisfied with this decision, but im sure that ill hate having to transfer 100+ GB of data via usb.