AVIC411.com

F700BT with Onstar mic

The onstar mic needs power. If you decouple the dc from the audio signal you can use it for the avic. But the sound quality is poor and not loud enough. I even tried to built a power supply for the mic (dont need the onstar) but the quality was still not good enough.

Finally i bought a garmin mic, sound and signal strength is much more better.

The onstar mic needs power. If you decouple the dc from the audio signal you can use it for the avic. But the sound quality is poor and not loud enough. I even tried to built a power supply for the mic (dont need the onstar) but the quality was still not good enough.

Finally i bought a garmin mic, sound and signal strength is much more better.

Thanks for the information and keeping me from wasting my time. I've been looking at the Garmin mic myself and sounds like I'll be getting that now and figuring out a way to make it look like a factory mic in the headliner.

• 5 months later...

I agree with tom411. There seemed to be mixed opinions on whether the Onstar mic could be used as an input for the Pioneer head unit, so I cut the Onstar mic wires (at the Onstar module behind the center console) on my 2004 Grand Prix and spliced them into the AVIC mic plug. Unfortunately the signal was way too low and it was barely audible. Someone suggested using a 1k/1k resistor voltage divider to bias the Onstar mic at 6v. I tried that as well with no luck. Eventually I decided to splice the Pioneer mic into the connector on the rear view mirror, so at least I could use the existing mic wires.