AVIC411.com

avic z1 in 03 mustang

I got a 03 mustang gt and i wanted to buy a pioneer avic z1 but crutchfield says that i need to buy a aftermarket amplifier but i been looking and i see that there are harness like the metra 70-5519 that lets me connect directly to the factory amplifier. will this work? will it give same sound quality? will i have to buy anything else?

thanks in advance
I take it you have the mach system in there? If so then that harness will allow you to retain the mach system while replacing the radio. You will also need the dash kit for the car. Part number is 95-5026. If you're going to do this one yourself here's the wiring stuff you'll need to make the gps the most accurate.

Reverse Light black/pink + 26 pin plug, pin 20 at GEM
Notes: The GEM (Generic Electronic Module) is located above the driver kick panel.

Speed Sense white/orange pin 68 at PCM
Notes: The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is located behind the passenger kick panel.

merry xmas
The reverse input wire you don't need unless you're going to hook up a backup camera. The speed sensor wire you want to hook up it will make the navigation a bit more accurate plus it will allow you to use all of the vehicle dynamics displays. Here's how they break down

Reverse light. The wire is black with a pink stripe. It's at pin 20 of a 26 pin harness at the gem. The gem is the large box above the drivers kick panel.

Speed sense. The wire is white with an orange stripe. It's at pin 68 of the pcm. The pcm is behind the passenger kick panel.
i see you really know you stuff and i really appreciate your help. Im not going to need the reverse wire i don't want the camera but the speed sense sounds like a good idea. so for example for the speed sensor i connect the harness to the orange strip thats on the pcm. one more question the harness is just plugging in the head unit and into the car or i have to cut wires?

thank you
You'll have to splice the wires from the 70-5519 to the wires that come iwth the avic. It's not hard, just match the wire colors and either solder and tape, or butt connect them. If you do solder and tape make sure you use good quality tape ie 3m super 33+. Best electrical tape in the world. in my opinion anyway.
Here is a great how-to for replacing the head unit on the mach system. Remember you will need bass blockers for your tweeters.

[url=http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Articles/Replacing-Your-2001-Mach-460-Head-Unit.html]http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Articles/R ... -Unit.html[/url]

I know the link is for an 01, but I believe it will work for all the mach systems up until '04, just be aware that it might be slightly different.
[quote name="peste19"]but doesn't this model already have the 2 crossovers built in? if it does i dont need the bass blockers do i?[/quote]

With mine (an 01) I didn't install the bass blockers and just used the Metra Harness, the tweeters were constantly popping. I went and picked up some bass blockers, and that made all the difference.

I may be wrong, but I believe the tweeter's amp is in the head unit (with the crossovers for them)

I had a '94 with the Mach system and the amp for the tweeters in that car was mounted below the 2 decks (the '94 had two single din slots) and was not part of the head unit.
  • 2 weeks later...