AVIC411.com

Playing iPOD Video

I bought that Dynex 6' A/V Cable for iPod with Video from best buy that plugs into the headphone jack but I have to crank the volume right up and it gives me a hiss through the speakers ! Will check it again today.

That's because you're utilizing the tiny little, cheap op-amp that's inside the iPOD that is only meant for a set of headphones, not to be rerouted through another amplifer. The cable you're using has a different impedance from your headphones, so you've got to crank it, to hear anything. This goes for any device that is intended to be heard through headphones. While that's an easy solution, it's not much of one for the audiophile. You'll need to use the data port on the bottom for a clean audio out.

This may be of interest here if you're willing to wait for a couple of months...ipod or other player.

http://www.imedock.com/

The site says it will have full video and music compatability. Only thing is it looks like you won't have in dash control as the Z1 does now but it will have it's own wireless controller. I'm picturing controlling your MP3 player on an AUX video screen or something where it would display your MP3 screen directly onto your in dash screen.

We can only hope.

• 2 weeks later...

I really searched this topic a crap load back when I got my Z1 and I finally came across the perfect solution. Not only does it have the connection for the Pioneer iPod adapter, it has a connector for the 2.5mm a/v out and a sweet docking station. Check it out: http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_connections.htm

I had this working perfectly in my 04 F150 for months, until I f-ing updated my iPod Video software!!! It's because I had to be able to hit them menu button on the iPod to get back to the videos, but now while it is on the dock, it will not let you press any buttons. Before it would let you go through the iPod's menus as long as you had the Z1's source on the A/V input. Is there a way to change the iPod software back to the previous version. Of course the only reason I updated it, now that I think of it, was because itunes said some of my newer videos wouldn't work until I updated. Anyway, it worked like a charm and looked bad ass for a while!