AVIC411.com

dual sub amps to avic-f90bt

Hello. Noob to the board :mrgreen: , but have been searching and reading around for a few months. A little timid at first with the whole hacking/modding thing, but decided to make the 3.0 upgrade my first attempt. It was a complete success, a BIG thanks to all that were involved with the write-ups and walk-thru's. Now I've got my feet wet, I'm ready for the hard stuff.

I have an Avic-f90bt with 2 kicker zx1000 mono amps pushing 2 12" Pioneer Premier Champs. Currently I have 1 amp fed from the 'sub rca output' and the other fed from the 'rear rca output'. Obviously, this limits the avic's sub control to 1 of my amps since the other is getting a complete rear channel signal. Recently I noticed that the amount of air coming from the port of the sub that is ran through the 'rear rca out' is significantly lower than that of the other. I swapped rca's from one amp to the other and still the amp being fed from the 'rear rca out' was the lesser of the 2 powers. If I were to run both of amps from the 'sub rca out', would I notice any loss of power or sound quality? Would it damage the headunit, is it capable of handling the load? Anybody have any similar experiences?

Your monitoring of the air of both subs are right. You switched on the sub output of your AVIC and so the AVIC split the range of frequencies to "normal till high" and "low" (sub). The "normal till high" frequencies go to the 'rear rca output' and the "low" goes to the 'sub rca out'. The one sub who get the "low" signals are quite happy with it :mrgreen: and pump your air around. The other one on the 'rear rca output' is getting the middle and high frequencies which he can't play back very well - less air output and no "boom-boom". :(

To make a better use of the 2nd sub you have some choices:

1. connect both subs to the 'rear rca output' together

The rca output is a low power output and it should be oki to split the signal for both amps. However this depends also on your amps which i don't know. So be careful.

2. connect both subs on the normal 'rear rca output'

Only possible if you don't have use of these 'rear rca output'. That needs to switch of the use of sub's in the AVIC else both of your amps only get the wrong frequencies and the result will be a disappointing tiny "boom". :cry:

On those kicker amps there should be 2 sets of rca's one 1 set for input and 1 set for output. If I was you Id keep the set of rca's that is plugged into the sub out on the radio into the input of the first kicker amp then use the other set of rca's you have plugged into the rear out of the radio into the output of the first amp then simply plug the other end into the input of the second amp and both amps should play the same. Kicker made it so you can hook up multipul mono kicker amps without having to run two sets of rca's to the back of the radio. Hope that helps

Thanks guys. I originally planned to chain the amps together through the single sub out rca's, but i figured it would be less wear on the head unit if i split them up. But from what I am reading, it shouldn't be a big deal to have both amps ran from the same rca, so I'll go out today and do some re-configuring. I have all this in my 06 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad cab, and it slams. So if I get a little more sp from one of the subs, I should be able to aquire complete hearing loss even sooner!