AVIC411.com

F90bt gps accuracy is off..what to do? can i calibrate it?

i've moved the gps antenna several times, so i know its not the position of it.

the gps ALWAYS says im about 50-70 feet ahead of where i actually am.

Could this have to do with the firmware? i downloaded the 3.001 or whatever from pioneer thats for the x910bt..im not sure where else to look.

and another issue i have is the alternator whine, how can i get rid of that?

alt wine? check your grounds

does your car have a factory amp?

does your car have a aftermarket 4ch amp?

make sure that there are no high current power wires running too close to signal cables

make sure that all your ground are in the same spot

make sure that your battery has a good ground clean of any corrosion

make sure that your motor has a good ground, not loose or no corrosion

make sure that your gains are not turned up too high

if you dont have any amps there is either a groung issue with the radio or there is somthing wrong with the radio

oh yea, it helps to know what kind of vehicle it is in and what parts where used for the install, and what components are hooked up in the system, and what stereo option the car had (bose, monson, mach, HK, Mark Levinston...) and anything else you might think could be helpfull

I installed a F90BT and a few months later, I decided to hook up the bypass. After replacing the unit back into the dash and driving on it for a day, I noticed the vehicle arrow would jump back and forth about a 1/2 inch every few seconds on a twisty road and even sometimes on straight roads. Also noticed that the "Feet" to the turn would be off 50 feet or greater. Pulled the unit back out and realized the VSS wire connection had pulled apart. With the connection together, all is well. My antenna is in the center of the top of the windshield, directly above the rearview mirror.

• 2 weeks later...
alt wine? check your grounds

does your car have a factory amp?

does your car have a aftermarket 4ch amp?

make sure that there are no high current power wires running too close to signal cables

make sure that all your ground are in the same spot

make sure that your battery has a good ground clean of any corrosion

make sure that your motor has a good ground, not loose or no corrosion

make sure that your gains are not turned up too high

if you dont have any amps there is either a groung issue with the radio or there is somthing wrong with the radio

oh yea, it helps to know what kind of vehicle it is in and what parts where used for the install, and what components are hooked up in the system, and what stereo option the car had (bose, monson, mach, HK, Mark Levinston...) and anything else you might think could be helpfull

I run my power and rca's together but i had a alpine in before and it never gave me the whine.

My grounds are good, i have a rockford fosgate power 1000, i knw how to set my gains and i have even tried grounding the rca's to the unit with no avail.

As for the GPS does the VSS need to be hooked up? i've read that that was only used when the gps lost reception. Plus even when im completely stopped its still giving me a wrong location

My f90bt ver 2.0 would do spastic things when the VSS was accidentally disconnected including spinning around when i first got under way. It would have been nice for Pioneer to provide a visual indicator on the display determine whether or not the VSS was functioning properly since it can't be measured by the standard multimeter.

As far as alternator whine goes, do you have access to someone with a scope that knows how to use it? Maybe at a nearby college or tech school? To check the power line to see if its clean? or look at grounds for the noise? I have seen an alternator with a bad diode create a whine. Also if you could see the whine frequency, it possibly could be removed with an capacitor filter of the proper design, but thats easier said than done. Its better to eliminate the source. Having multiple grounds feeding the AVIC such as the brake and mute Hack, should be on the same wire feeding the AVIC to prevent a possible ground loop. Alternators can be very expensive to replace, mine is $375..but often the diode block can be replaced separately. Also if all else fails you could remove the alternator and take it to a shop that has the equipment to test it 100% Or if you have a DVM and can take the alternator apart I can tell you how to test the diodes, there are 6 of them in the block.

The voltage regulator can also cause whine but its of a different type. If the whine changes with engine speed then its alternator whine, if the whine remains faily constant sounding with varied engine RPM but changes sound while holding the RPM constant but changes by turning the lights on and off...the regulator is the probably the culprit if your engine ground is good. Also remove corrosion on the battery posts.