AVIC411.com

What are the Avics missing?

So I saw a post earlier today calling the Avic's "Bargain Basement." I've seen comments like this before, and I in *NO* way mean any offense to the author of that comment when I ask this question.

So I've had my F90 Avic since before 2.0. And yea, it kinda sucked then. But I knew about this forum when I bought it, knew it ran on windows and that updates were coming, and that this forum would eventually figure this thing out to the point where we are now, and I continue to be amazed. I've played with several mods, now running Pioneers latest builds with IDT's mod, DPDurst's themes, updated maps, speedcams, branding files updated, my own images set for bootup, my phonebook is edited to be perfect, MSN is fine for me in my area, rearview camera works fine (a little slow, one minor quirk).

I have to say that outside of some very MINOR quirks, I love this damn thing. Maps work and look great, the Ipod integration and XM integration are great, Bluetooth for me is fine especially after 3.0, I can watch movies from IPOD or DVD if I want. It looks good, it's responsive (enough), I have tons of information at my fingertips....

So here is the question, and admittedly I haven't shopped for Nav units since I bought this one. Why would I or anyone else geeky enough to mod their unit consider another brand or model that costs 50-100% more than what we have? What features do some of the other manufacturers have that make their expensive units worth the money? What is the "killer app" that I don't have, that some other manufacture might make me drool for?

Outside of fixing some bugs in the existing modules, what do you want? My biggest one is a remote control, but I can live without that for the money I saved. Thoughts?

I agree with you 100% and couldn't put it better myself.The only problem i have now is that this place has become a bit of an obsession with me.I love to try all the different mods and now i can't decide which one i like the best!I am thinking of having a second unit so i can run IDT on one and Diafita on the other(Only Joking :lol: )

So here is the question, and admittedly I haven't shopped for Nav units since I bought this one. Why would I or anyone else geeky enough to mod their unit consider another brand or model that costs 50-100% more than what we have? What features do some of the other manufacturers have that make their expensive units worth the money? What is the "killer app" that I don't have, that some other manufacture might make me drool for?

Are you afraid of missing something you are not aware of? :wink:

There are things which are not perfect in AVIC. For example the integration of iGO, bluetooth and the rest of the software. Things that make life easier:

Why are the contacts in AVIC so crippled? Using an SQL database to store a name and a phone number. Looks oversized or not finished! No adress, no picture,...

Would be nice to set a contact as a destination for navigation.

Why can i set a dynamic volume for the navigation only and not for radio/iPod/DVD?

Why no cover pic of my mp3 from SD card/USB?

Why no VR in europe?

I think it doesn't need a killer application, a flawless smooth working unit would be enough. That's why ppl pay more for a MacOS than for Windows... (just an example, no discussion pls!)