AVIC411.com

In reading the manual Pioneer says it has external unit controls EXT1 and EXT2 for "future devices that are not currently planned for, or to devices that allow control of basic funcstions although they are not fully controlled by the system..."

It's the last part of the statement that interests me. Is there any way to attempt to connect another portable device through the external control to see if the Z110 would control it?

The manual makes it sound like there is a crapshoot there somewhere...

Is the EXT plug an IP-Bus or something? And if it is, is the connection common or proprietary?

I already use the USB to control my iPod would be one reason to add another IP-BUS, to attempt to control my Cowon A3.

But my main reason is based on an assumtion that the EXT functions don't control through the "stock" USB connection, that the USB is just for iPod control and USB thumb drives - or am I wrong on that? It's not mentioned in the manual, that I can find.

My ideas is to try to connect my Cowon A3 through IP-BUS USB in attempt to gain basic control (simple next/previous track,...) of it through the headunit EXT functions. From there the A3 would be connected via a 4-pole 1/8th inch mini-jack to the unit for audio/video.

I use the Cowon mostly as a FLAC player (CD sound quality, unlike mp3). I also use the A3 for video formats that an iPod or the Z110 can't play.

Good to hear one can daisy chain!

Your not going to get head unit control of any MP3 device except the iPod, period. The EXT devices are going to be future devices that Pioneer releases. There are none for the Z110BT right now so there is nothing more to say to that. There is a UB100 USB accessory that Pioneer has but it is not listed as compatible with the unit. It is an IP-BUS device so it will daisy chain through the unit but it probably is going to prove useless in this case. However it is worth a try of course.

It's obvious that you wont get anywhere near remotely close to full control of a device near that of the programming the Z110BT has for iPod. But jumping to the conclusion that ALL mp3 players will be zero-controlled is a pretty bold statement, that the EXT functions (simple track next and previous) won't work for even but one device that uses windows programming.

If you read the EXT section of the manual, it sounds like some pretty common signals are sent through IP-BUS, such that even simple track forward and reverse might work on some players.

The UB100 USB can be purchased now for $30: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_903 ... UB100.html

...so what the heck...a $30 experiment.