AVIC411.com

700BT Sony RM-4XS compatible? Also VSS question

Hey everyone , newbie here doing an install of a 700BT into a 2006 Honda Element. So far I've mounted the exterior antennas for the GPS and the XM module and routed all cables to the dash area. I've installed the XM module behind the rear interior side panel of the Element where the OEM XM unit was. Now I'm ready to tackle the install of the unit itself. Here's what I have to install:

New Pioneer 700BT unit

2006 Honda Pilot Trim kit (Element forum says the Pilot kit fits better than the Element kit)

Correct Metra brand wiring harness

Pioneer iPod connection kit

I also have purchased the steering wheel control adapter, but I hate the limited nature of the Element's steering wheels controls. Is it possible to use the Sony RM-4XS wired remote with the 700BT?? I've searched and found posts that it works with the 900, but nothing specific for the 700BT, and I'd like to be sure before I shell out $50.

Also, for the 700BT, do I need to connect the VSS wire or not? The Pioneer instructions say "it is not necessary to connect the VSS wire for the 700BT" But I have a VSS wire in the wiring harness, which is odd? Should I just leave it disconnected? What would be the advantage in connecting it?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'd like to get this right first time and not have to pull the unit to redo anything. :D

That remote will work but it has a reversed polarity if you mount the remote on the right side of the steering column or on the center console. All controls will work but with reverse direction. It takes a little getting use too but it does work well and is probably the best wired remote option for these units. Also, there is no VSS on the 700.