AVIC411.com

HELP XM/Navtraffic/Ipod weird install problems

So I installed my Z1 yesterday, and it works wonderfully.

Went to install my GEX-P10XMT plus Ipod interface today and am having some weird issues.

All connections are correct, data cable XM to Z1, IP bus XM (black) to Z1 (blue) and XM (blue) to ipod (black), constant power is good (checked with multimeter), ground is good, didnt connect ACC power lead.

The Z1 displays no connection/no signal/no radio ID for the XM unit.

When my ipod is attached everything shows up on the Z1 and I can select and play a playlist BUT no sound!

Tried resetting the XM unit multiple times.

The XM button on the AV menu is active but when hit it selects for a second then displays 'off' on the Z1. It was also blinking at one point.

I even tried just taking the ipod interface out of the picture, switching IP bus cables and still no connection/no signal.

I'm thinking bad antenna or cables? How can I check the antenna?

Thanks in advance.

All connections are correct, data cable XM to Z1, IP bus XM (black) to Z1 (blue) and XM (blue) to ipod (black), constant power is good (checked with multimeter), ground is good, didnt connect ACC power lead.

Isnt it supposed to be

XM (Blue) to Z1 (Blue)

XM (Black) to Z1 (Black)

and

iPod (Black) to XM (Black)?

The colors match to the plugs.

Isnt it supposed to be

XM (Blue) to Z1 (Blue)

XM (Black) to Z1 (Black)

and

iPod (Black) to XM (Black)?

The colors match to the plugs.

yes the colors match the plugs, but the IP bus cables have 1 black and 1 blue end. blue is input, black is ouput. There's only a blue ipbus input on the back of the Z1, that goes to a black plug on the XM unit. The blue input on the XM unit then goes to the black output on the Ipod unit. The data cable isnt directional, both black plugs.

cables can be plugged in any way you like. reverse them in the plugs.

you have to go "out" from the xm or ipod to the z1

The ipbus cant be plugged in either way. And just to make sure I just tried and no change. There is an out from the xm to the z1, read the connections I just listed in my last post.

The lack of sound isnt the main issue right now, the not connected/no signal/no radio ID from the XM tuner is.

well, before you get snotty mister 4 posts, chill cuz my sh!t works fine.

I dont have to read how you plugged into that and that plugged into this. Its a long drawn out irrelevant post. you say it cant be plugged in the other way, but you say you did it and no change, so you are misleading at best, cuz obviously YOU CAN.

These issues your having have been covered before, I am sure with a little search you can find an answer.

BUT.... try installing just the xm, making sure the ipbus cable goes from the OUT of the xm unit to the IN of the z1 and the data cable gets connected properly, also reset xm and z1 after install. then try to come back with a little bit more of a level head and describe what your doing and the problem a bit clearer as a bad ant. or bad cable isnt going to do this especially since you can use the cable from the ipod (ipbus) to ensure the ipbus cable is good.

all else fails, do a search here too.

What I am doing: installing XM receiver GEX-P10XMT

What the problem is: Z1 reads no connection/no signal and gives no radio ID.

Just the XM is installed, as I'm just trying to get that to work before hooking up the ipod unit. I hooked up the ipod unit through the XM just to see if it would get recognized, which it did minus sound.

Yes, the ipbus goes from the out of the XM to the only in of the Z1.

The data cable is connected properly.

They have both been reset multiple times.

Swapping out the ipod ipbus cable with the XM ipbus cable to see if it was a cable issue was the first thing I did... no change.

I searched. Only answers I found were defective unit or antenna. I just swapped out the XM unit with a new one, same result. I swapped out the antenna with a new one, same result.

The XM button on the Z1's AV menu blinks when all is connected right, but when selected it goes to the XM channel screen for half a second then jumps to off. So something is getting through.

Not being snotty, just stating the facts again.

Only thing I can think of now is defective Z1.

Ok yellow wires on both the ipod and xm tuner go to yellow on the z1 harness. Blacks to the black of the z1 harness. Ipbus cable #1 blue end goes into z1. Black end goes into black plug on either the xm tuner or the ipod interface. Then ipbus cable #2 blue end goes to blue plug of whichever you plugged ipbus cable #1 into. Black end of ipbus cable #2 goes to black plug of the second module. Data cable goes from xm tuner to back of z1 (if it's a nav traffic xm tuner). Also if it's a nav traffic tuner make sure the red wire on the power harness is NOT connected to anything. Make sure the fuses on the yellow wires are all good. Next reset the xm and z1. Last step turn on car and test. Once again no sound on ipod and/or xm means ipbus cable is hooked up wrong. That's it end of discussion.