AVIC411.com

Issues I'm Having With the Z110...

Ipod interface works great, couldn't ask for more

unfortunately the nav is horrible. maybe i'm using it wrong or need to change some of the settings, any advice would be appreciated

1. There is no speeds for the roads built into the maps, so the routing is totally bogus. I know you can set the speeds for minor road, major road, and highway. I've used tons of gps, and they all estimate the arrival time. Well on this unit it will give me the route, and then I will purposely miss a turn because I know its faster this way, and it will recalculate and give me a quicker estimated arrival time. Why isn't it just calculating that as the fastest way right off the bat? I've made sure that it's set to fast for the route and that there are no avoidances set. It's like the unit purposely doesn't want me on the highway. I've even set the speeds of the roads crazily to try and purposely get it to route me on the highway. I have it set to 25, 30, and 70 for the speeds and it rarely gets me on the highway unless I purposely ignore the turns and get on myself.

Is this just how it is? I have tons of experience with GPS and have always hated maps by tele-atlas, but this is horrible.

2. There is no option to view the details of a point of interest through the voice control. I know you can say "get details" but all it does is display the street that point of interest is on. Why doesn't it show the address and phone number like if you were physically using the touch screen?

3. There is no way to navigate to an intersection...

4. When I route to a point of interest and it's on the left hand side of a major road the unit tries to have me make a u-turn at a light/street instead of just making a left hand turn into the lot of the poi.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I love the unit and got a great deal $800 new from the local best buy, but i can't justify keeping this strictly for Ipod interface.

1. The speed settings in the settings are only used for estimation of arrival time. Even though I use this nav extensively and it always gets me where I am going in the appropriate and reasonable amount of time. For this is the way it is.

2. This is unfortunate but you can say, "Call" after saying, "Get Details" and the unit will call the POI. This area could use an update as well but it is still useful.

3. Yep, your right about that one. One work around is to scroll on the map to the intersection you want, then hit the shortcut button at the bottom right of the map and hit the checkered flag icon, there it will allow you to plot the route.

4. Cant say I have ever had this problem. Always remember that no navi is perfect and you can always find issues with any of them. Hopefully some of these issues will be worked out in a future update.