AVIC411.com

Z110BT - VSS Connection have Voltage On it?

Asked this question under Vehicle Specific Wiring, but thought it would be better to ask it here.

Installing a Z110BT in a 2006 F150. Did some prelim checking of the radio wire harness to confirm final wiring for the adapter harness as some Fords have different wires in different places on the 24 pin radio radio pin out. Rather conveniently the Ford has the VSS pin in the radio harness in this case as Ford uses it to adjust volumn based on speed. I did a quick check with a voltmeter and have found it has 12V on it at idle. Just wondering if that seems normal...to have such high voltage or even any volts on the VSS wire. I am 99% sure I have the right pin but info is rather mixed and I would prefer to find out before I do the final soldering on the adapter, hook it up and fry something in the Z110.

Anyone out there able to confirm the VSS wire carries voltage as high as 12v normally?

....Anyone out there able to confirm the VSS wire carries voltage as high as 12v normally?

Completely normal... When the car is moving, you will get an alternating voltage (pulses) between 0 and 12 Volts, however, you won't be able to measure this with a normal voltmeter...(unless you move very slowly...)