AVIC411.com

To all of the installers out there. I need help with wiring a relay. I am going to be using a relay to disable some LEDs in my headlights using the parking brake as the trigger. The LEDs are being powered by the 12+switched wire from the head unit so they burn continuously while the car is running. They are grounded to bolts at the front of the car. I would like to use the parking brake to disable them just as my DRLs are when using the parking brake. Now, my knowledge about relays at this point is challenged. What type of relay do I need and how does it need to be wired? I would think this should be the same proceeder as wiring a relay to the parking brake to bypass some of the DVD only head units. Thanks in advance for the help.

any bosh standard relay will work, there should only be one wire coming off of the parking brake, it will be ground when set.

you will want to wire the relay for interrupt instead of being used to power up something, so the LED's power source wire should be cut and the end coming from the avic should go to the relays terminal 87a & 85 and the other end of the wire (going to the lights) goes to 30, and then a wire goes from the parking brake wire to terminal 86.

when the avic is on, term 85 gets 12+v, when the parking brake is set, 86 gets ground. when both are present (avic is on AND the brake is set) the relay will energize, when the relay is off power will travel through the relay from term 30 (common) to 87a (normally closed) when the relay is energized it will switch from 87A to 87 (going to 30)and will disconnect power from leaving the relay going to the lights.

i hope this is clear, i have a bad habit of seeing it in my head fine but might be confusing how i say it, if its not, let me know and i can try to clarify it.

I just wanted to give a big shout out to forum member 1loudls. Good and experienced installers are certainly an asset on AVIC411. Yesterday, after consulting with my local installer on this, I attempted the instructions I was given. Unfortunately I was not able to achieve what I was trying to do and my local guy didn't have a solution. I came here and posted my dilemma. 1loudls was the first to respond and was able to solve my problem through the instructions provided above. To 1loudls, thanks a lot man, it works like a charm.

no problem Vblue42, its good forums like this one that helps me out with a lot of issues. the least i can do for all the help I've been given, is to try to help out as many people as i can to make sure this forum stays the best place to seek expert advice, whether it be to find solutions to our buggy F-series (which would be the most worthless headunits ever if it wasn't for this place), to get help finding wires colors, or just some help with install issues.

thanks, i googled avatars (before the movie came out, now its a little harder to find) and found a couple of sites that just had tons of pages of them, it took quite awhile to go through them and find a good animated one that would fit in the forum size requirements, but if you look hard enough, you will always find what your looking for.