AVIC411.com

Major Issues with D2

Vehicle: Scion tC

Year: 2005

Factory Radio/Factory speakers.

I tried the install of my Pioneer AVIC-D2 last night and it just went from bad to worse.

First off, I can't get any audio out of the unit by itself. I hooked up the smaller Metra plug (2 purple wires / 2 green wires and 1 orange wire) and saudered and heat-shrinked it to the harness...plugged it in...nada

No noise, no beeps no music. Did a "restore to factory settings" option and even did the hard reset (reset button + eject DVD NAV button)

I am getting nothing. Fearing I have a completely dead unit, I busted out a 480W Sony Xplode Amp from back when I was in the car audio craze (subs/lights..etc) and hooked some RCA's up to my RCA FRONT OUTs.

Plugged those into the amp, amp wired up to the car (grounded on chassis) and ran home theater wire from amp to the white and grey wires on the main harness..I dont carry car speaker wire normally

I GOT SOUND...but it has the horrendous buzzing noise. I can turn the volume all the way down and it just sits there and buzzes. By filtering it and adjusting settings on the amp, I can almost make it go away, but if I were sitting at a stop light with no audio, I bet I could hear it.

Any ideas?

Is there an internal fuse I can replace on the D2? I don't really want to run an external amp...

Why the buzzing? How can I get rid of it? I grounded my AVIC to the harness and not to the car or eBrake...can that be causing the buzzing?

HT speaker wire causing it instead of good car speaker wire? I could run out and get some 18 gauge wire at RadioShack or Wally world if needed.

I used to be decent at this stuff, but that is coming up on about a decade ago...so I have forgotten a lot of stuff....

I have not fully hooked up every connection on the harness...I don't want to go to all that trouble just to have to undo it if I have to use an external amp.

Any help is appreciated.