AVIC411.com

map won't switch to night view?

You might want to check that wire.

I'm being told by the guys on my Lincoln forum that the wire doesn't need to be hooked up for this function to work.

Here's the post from that forum:

The AVIC switches between day and night view based only on the time of day and your location. The illumination wire doesn't affect it at all.

The illumination wire switches the brightness level of the display. You get only two brightness levels (both selectable in one of the menus). Ideally, you would connect the illumination wire to one of the parking light feeds since that would work correctly no matter what the instrument dimer switch was set to. However, the LS makes that very difficult. Instead, connect it to one of the dash light illumination feeds. The easiest two to get to would be either the bulb for the ash tray illumination, or the illumination wire going to the message center buttons. Connecting to either of these will work as long as you don't turn the dimer to a very low setting.

Wrong!!! Connect the wire if you want the problem to go away.

Ya I agree the manual clearly says the orange/white lead has to be connected for this function to work. I have no clue how multiple guys on there say their day night work & they don't have the wire connected. I know on my Kenwood the wire didn't need to be connected & it always switched to night when it should. The problem is we connected the wire to the harness, but it's not working. maybe it's connected to the wrong wire.

On the connection status screen, you can see if the illumination lead is hooked up and working...

1 Display the “Navi Settings” screen.

2 Touch [Connection Status].

The “GPS Status” screen appears.

from page 92 of the manual

sorry about the confusion, i did assume the Z was the same way as my (and other members of a different forum) F900, you will want to make sure if you hooked up that wire that you did not hook it up to any wires in the radio harness, the wire is there for most fords, however a lot of new fords and all Lincoln LS's dont get there illum signal from that wire any more, i believe they get it through the CAN BUS system along with the RAP feature, you will want to tap into one of the wires for the little light for the ashtray, since you need to remove that part to get the radio out anyway.

IIRC the two wires coming off of the light, one will be black and i think the other was green (not 100% sure) the black wire is the wrong wire, tap into the other wire (maybe green)

Thanks for all the help guys we tapped into the orange wire when we pulled out the ashtray & now the map switches to night when the lights are turned on. We tested the orange wire & it was putting out only 5v, but either way it does what it needs to. I guess it doesn't need to be 12v for this function to work.

the lincoln radio does not have an external illumination wire. the aftermarket plug has it but it is not correct . go to a light wire like to a lighter ill. or ash tray light etc. jim

Thanks for the help, but the other guys already posted that in this thread so the problem was already fixed. I appreciate the input though.