AVIC411.com

Thinking of Purchasing

I've been trying to do a lot of research on this unit since I'm not very happy with the one I currently have (Eclipse AVN5495), but it's starting to get overwhelming. So, a few questions, if you don't mind...

1) I don't do iPods. Can any other mp3 player be hooked up? Do I need to still get the adapter for the iPod? Is there a max on the storage size of an mp3 player?

2) Is there a max on the storage size of a flash drive?

3) I think POIs are customizable and / or uploadable? Relatively simple process or difficult if you want to add quite a few of them?

4) I have a Scion tC with steering wheel controls. I'll likely need an adapter for the controls, right? Does anyone know if the radio door can be lowered?

I probably have a few more questions, but for now... thanks a lot!

1. Through the audio input only. You will get no control from the head unit as you would with the ipod. The media player focus on this unit and all future units is going to be towards the iPod.There is no max MP3 player limit sense its just another audio source.

2. Around 8-16 gig.

3. It is not the most user friendly approach and is full of limitations. The unit will only recognize a total of 100 POI's on the SD card and you can only have a POI with a max of 100 locations. However, if you just need to put a few POI on the card for your trip it works well. It is no designed to an addition to the on board POI database.

4.You will need the PAC SWI-PS version 1.68 and I don't understand the second part of your question.

Are you talking about the Scion radio cover? Or are you talking about the Avic face opening to access the CD/USB? I had a D3 in my old Scion TC and the Scion radio cover closed with no problem. Hope that helps.

I believe my Scion only had mode, vol up, vol down, track up, and track down. If you only use those functions you wouldn't need the newest version of the pac. If you intend to use the 'mode' button for say VR then you would need the newest version.

Yes, the Scion radio cover is what I was referring to. What is VR? And if I understood your response, I will need an adapter for the steering wheel controls, it's just a matter of getting the older one that doesn't support VR or a newer one that does?

If I actually break down and get an iPod, will it charge while plugged into the unit?

VR is voice recognition. Yes, you need an adapter for the steering wheel controls. You need the Pac that VBLUE42 mentioned in his post. They made to newer versions of the pac with the latest being the one he mentioned. If you only plan to use the steering wheel controls that I mentioned you do not need the 1.68. However, I suggested that you change the steering wheel controls to be what you need most. You have 5 buttons and you can make them basically whatever you want them to be. Probally just confusing you, I know. All these questions can be found in this forum. Spend a few hours just reading the posts on here and it will help you a ton. Or in a pinch use the search function.

Believe me, I've been reading a lot on the forum... started feeling sick yesterday after a few hours of it. :P

I do remember reading something about re-mapping steering wheel controls. So, I guess then that it's not vehicle specific, I should be able to do that on the Scion. Now, with my stock headunit, the mode button would basically change the source. If I re-mapped that button to VR, is there a voice command that could change the source? Or better yet, is there a list of available voice commands (not just the 5 or so examples)?