AVIC411.com

Toyota Corolla 2006 full tutorial

Hello guys,

I own a 2006 Toyota Corolla.

p10201011280x768.jpg

I have finally received all i needed to replace my old one din unit : it's a pioneer deh B85BT

dehp85bt_detailpage.jpg

i order a AVIC F910BT and on this saturday i will install it. I will make a video and take some pictures.

I think it could be interesting for corolla owners.

My english is probably bad, i'm sorry for that.

Hi,

I just installed a X710BT in my wife's 2006 Corolla a couple of weeks ago.

The installation was pretty easy, but I had previously installed the X910 in my car so I knew what to watch for.

A couple of tips (in no particular order):

1) for mounting the GPS (and Sirius/XM antenna if you get it), pick up a 4" x 4" electrical junction box cover at a hardware store. When you remove the old stereo, if you look straight back there will be a opening between the two duct tubes. Right behind there is a hollow area where you can place the junction box cover for the antennas. You will have to make a small notch (I used a metal file) on what will be the front side of the junction box cover to allow seating around a little rib that runs up the center of the opening. When you open it up and feel around in there you'll see what I mean. Then I used 3M Body Molding Tape and wrapped it around the front and rear edges of the junction box cover, this will give the cover grip and prevent it from falling or moving. My GPS and Sirius antennas for both of my cars are mounted under the dash and I have no problems with reception.

2) I ran the microphone cable up the passenger A-pillar, tucked it in the front of the headliner to the rearview mirror. If you have the cable cover on your mirror, slide it down from the top at the headliner and then gently work it lose at the mirror's windshield mount. I used velcro with adhesive on both halves, I just cut a small section, attached one adhesive side to the microphone and then stuck it to the top of the mirror.

3) The A-pillar comes off fairly easily. Get your fingers behind it at the top and gently but firmly pull it away. The blue scrivet (plastic rivet thingie) will stay on the A-pillar. It needs to be removed and placed in position on the pillar cover for reinstallation.

4) About midway down the A-pillar, there is a white plastic retainer that needs to be worked open with small pliers and then attached to the square opening in the pillar cover before installation. Otherwise you'll have an annoying bulge where it doesn't seat properly

5) Use tie-wraps or some other device to secure the microphone wire to the harness running up. If not secured the wire could be cut by one of the retaining scrivets when reinstalling the cover.

6) Remove the glovebox, it's pretty easy, a screw on the side releases the strap and it lifts out.

7) Be careful removing the center console cover. I pulled in the wrong place and broke one of the hinge tabs on the bottom door - cost $48 US to get a new door from the dealer. I had replaced the factory stereo two other times without damaging anything but this time it broke on me.

The rest behind there is pretty easy, just connect the wires to the new harness and you're all set.

Good luck!