AVIC411.com

X910 NAVI map color washed out

The map colors on my new x910 are washed out and grey/blue in appearance. The road/street lines are light in color against a light gray background not the greens yellows blues and reds I saw in all the advertisements and on Pioneers' web site. I bring up the NAVI color selections and it shows Pioneer blue or Pioneer red which are not that different from each other. Is there something I'm missing? I'm used to using Magellan or Garmin stand alone units which had vivid colors for the maps. There is nothing in the owner's manual that even refers to changing colors, of course the manual is in black and white so there isn't any color shown there either.

I did the "standard" bypasses for chaning navigation stuff while moving but I can't see where that would have any effect.

I tried everything to change the display, it must be part of the map package. Here's a photo of what it appears like. This really sucks.

X910BT.jpg

The map colors on my new x910 are washed out and grey/blue in appearance. The road/street lines are light in color against a light gray background not the greens yellows blues and reds I saw in all the advertisements and on Pioneers' web site. I bring up the NAVI color selections and it shows Pioneer blue or Pioneer red which are not that different from each other. Is there something I'm missing? I'm used to using Magellan or Garmin stand alone units which had vivid colors for the maps. There is nothing in the owner's manual that even refers to changing colors, of course the manual is in black and white so there isn't any color shown there either.

I did the "standard" bypasses for chaning navigation stuff while moving but I can't see where that would have any effect.

I tried everything to change the display, it must be part of the map package. Here's a photo of what it appears like. This really sucks.

Image removed

Well, Pioneer support came back with a response to my query about the washed out display, they said: "Try resetting the unit, press the disc eject and reset button at the same time for about 15 seconds. Also, make sure the installer (me) did not connect the illumination wire wrong. It may be in night mode all the time, if connected wrong."

I followed the wiring diagram included with the unit and used one of the available cross connect cables (Metra) to wire it up. Maybe I'll pull the unit and cut the orange/white illumination wire to see what that does. I thought it was supposed to dim the control lights but that's not happening when I dim the dash lights. Still confused.

Well, after dealing with Pioneer "support" and an online electronics help site I guess I'm stuck with the crappy maps until I can figure out how to hack this thing and load in some different displays to repace or add to the Pioneer blue and red choices for map colors, neither of which seems much different from the other.

I guess I was spoiled by my Magellan units and my DeLorme PN40 hand held which both have better map displays than the X910BT. All other functions seem to work (slow) so I guess it's the nature of the beast.