AVIC411.com

Can we use one of those shark fin style antenna's with this?

Tried searching, but didn't find an answer on this... I want to use one of those shark fin style antenna's on my roof for my GPS do they make one for this unit? This is similar to the one's on BMW & many other new cars now. Has anyone done this? It doesn't have to be the shark fin style any antenna that is ok to mount on the roof.

Thanks!

Many of those shark fin antennas are just plastic dummies that you can pickup pretty cheap, no radio antenna is inside. You could use one of them to cover the real GPS antenna for your AVIC.

The plastic should not interfere with GPS reception, I have mine mounted on a plate under the front dash.

Just an fyi - I picked up a real shark fin antenna for my wife's car and replaced the small whip antenna on the roof. It cost about $80.

Tried searching, but didn't find an answer on this... I want to use one of those shark fin style antenna's on my roof for my GPS do they make one for this unit? This is similar to the one's on BMW & many other new cars now. Has anyone done this? It doesn't have to be the shark fin style any antenna that is ok to mount on the roof.

Thanks!

I used one from Audi/VW on my VW Golf. The antenna had industry standard FAKRA SMB connectors for GPS, Sat Radio, FM, GSM. I could not find the adapters out there not because they don't exist, but more because I did not have time. I ended up doing a coax splice from the shark fin to the Pioneer wire (after I removed the GPS puck antenna from it). Performance is great and everything is clean and integrated. Search and I bet you will find an adapter. Worst case coax solder/splice like me. Just make sure if you go that route that you are good with a solder gun. Also have an ohmmeter handy and test impedance before and after the splice. There should be no change in resistance if you did it right.