AVIC411.com

Harness for a 2001 GS300

I finally purchased the Z110BT and am ready to install, but do not want to go hardwire every connection in the unit. Is there a harness that I can use for a 2001 Lexus GS300? I've done some research and came across a Lexus IS Blog in which they mentioned using Metra TYTO-01 harness, but not sure if its only good for the IS? I've also been reading that I can't or should be very careful in keeping my stock speakers because they are 2 ohms vs the minimum 4 required by the unit? Any thoughts on this? Basically, what I want to know is if I have to go and purchase an amp and 4 new 4 ohm speakers before installing the unit?

Thanks for your input, ALL is appreciated. LOVE THIS SITE!

Since you're putting in the Z I figure you don't already have the stock nav with integrated climate control or premium sound. I havent been in one of those dashes in a while but I think you should look into either the PAC-Audio TATO or even the 70-8112 Metra harness with the RCA's on it. Not an exact match but a lead. If I get into one of those dashes soon I'll let you know. If you pull out the factory radio and send me pictures I could probably tell.

Thanks Tunez, I will look into those. I do have the non navigation unit so the ac controls are not integrated. Questions; what do you think about the ohm rating on the stock speakers? I will take a reading this week to confirm, but I have read that the stock speakers are 2 ohms and this units minimum is 4. Do you know anything about this? If I replace the speakers do I have to replace the stock amp as well?

Thanks!!

I put an AVIC N2 in one a few years back, speaker impedance was not an issue. Also I didn't do any rewiring, I used a harness but I can't remember which one. I just had a thought I could pull her receipt tomorrow and see which harness I sold her.

I just put one in my 01 gs300 last month. If i recall correctly, the front speakers are 2 ohms, but the tweeter and door speaker are wired in series to create a 4 ohm load. The rear speakers are 4 ohms. I used the Metra 8112 to bypass the amp. The harness was only used for the speaker leads. I ended up splicing into the harness for the power and ignition. Lemme know if you have any questions.

I just put one in my 01 gs300 last month. If i recall correctly, the front speakers are 2 ohms, but the tweeter and door speaker are wired in series to create a 4 ohm load. The rear speakers are 4 ohms. I used the Metra 8112 to bypass the amp. The harness was only used for the speaker leads. I ended up splicing into the harness for the power and ignition. Lemme know if you have any questions.

Thanks Tommy, i had already pcked up the 8112 on Tunez advice, but you gave me the info on the impedance that I needed. Which wires did you end up splicing for the power and ignition? Are you happy with the way it turned out? Any pics?

For some odd reason the harness didn't fit the harness behind the dash. It did fit the harness coming into the amp though...unless there's an ignition and power wire coming from that harness too? Reading through all the posts on Clublexus had me all confused so I just went with what I knew. I believe constant 12v was the gray wire and ignition was blue with a yellow stripe. I might have them mixed up though. I think the install looks pretty good. I'm coming from a carputer, so I'm use to having more control over things, but the z110bt is pretty good. I think I have to retag some of my music since it displays tags differently. Overall very happy. If you need a trim piece, get the one from Carson Toyota. Its pricey and I had to wait a month to get it, but it blends in with the dash perfectly. I'll try and snap some pics tomorrow.

Tunez, I agree, I dont think splicing will be needed. I just went over all of the wiring and everything seems to be available. I probably will make an extension to reach the harness by the amp like one that I saw in Club Lexus.

Tommy, I had purchased the trim from Carson Toyota since I heard it was the best match, but did you notice the small gap around the edges, is there a trim that will cover that? Let's see some pics : )