AVIC411.com

Installing new Z120 this Saturday, Two Questions

Hi all,

First off I just want to thank everyone on this forum for helping me make the decision to go with the new Z120BT. I was thinking of selling my '06 Cayman S as it has 48k on the clock and I wanted something with nav, bt, an ipod hookup, backup camera, etc. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I love this car and an aftermarket headunit would solve all my problems. I think I've read damn near every thread and news update about the new headunit, as well as watched all the videos; this forum, and especially VBlue, have been an incredible resource for me so thanks again.

So here are my two questions:

1) aside from bringing the shop that's doing the install the motion bypass instructions, are there any other install suggestions that I should relay to them? I want to make sure the car can easily be returned to stock when I do sell it, I don't want the nav antenna to be visible from the outside (they said it won't, they showed me where they mount it and it's pretty trick), and I want them to show me where they are going to install the iphone/ipod cable. Any other install tips or suggestions would be great.

2) Is there anything in particular you guys are curious about that I can provide some feedback on? I know I'm not the first person to have this installed, but I'm definitely one of the earlier adopters. Since this forum has been so helpful for me, I'd like to contribute in anyway possible. Install notes, real world feedback, etc... just let me know if I can provide any insight.

Ok I lied, I guess there are three questions. Do you all think there will be compatibility issues with the new 4G iPhone and the Pioneer CD-IU50V cable? I'm planning on getting the new iPhone when it comes out and it would suck if there were compatibility issues with the existing cable and the new phone. I'm guessing there's no way to know for sure, but thought I'd ask.

Pics of the Z120s new home: **edit** looks like the forum automatically crops large images, sorry about that

side%20shot%202.jpg

front%20angle.jpg

rear%20angle.jpg

seatbelts.jpg

interior1.jpg

1. Tell them you want them to connect the VSS wire. They will skip it if you don't make them do it. It is part of the unit therefor it is part of the install that you will be shelling out money for. If they try to charge you extra for it, tell them to have a nice day and take your business somewhere else. Also, if you are considering a backup camera, tell them you want it wired correctly, that means the power wire needs to be wired to the 12 volt accessory wire of the vehicle and the reverse wire from the head unit needs to be wired to the reverse lights. Most installers just wire the power wire from the camera to the reverse lights which will give you reverse view but it completely defeats rear view.

As far as your question about the 4G iPhone, like you stated there is no way to be sure on this until its released. I can reasonably assure you however that there will likely be no problems with the iPod cable. In the past, there have been problems when Apple changed something about the dock connector protocol that caused problems in this way. At this point, I think it is safe to assume they have got things the way they want them in that respect so I would not expect any change there. I think we will all be ok. Only time will tell however so lets just wait and see.

Thank you for the info, I'll be sure to pass that along to the installer. Honestly, this was incredibly helpful. I'm gonna do more research on the forum about some of the install notes you all have just to make sure I fully understand what's involved.

Also, as soon as I get the iPhone 4G, I'll be sure to report back how well it handles video and audio connectivity with the Z120.

Thanks again sir.