AVIC411.com

Right Channel Issue again.... ALL SOURCES

Been reading and reading about the right channel issues. Seems like most people only have the issue with the right channel when trying to use their iPod. Well mine started out that way but now it doesn't matter the source. I'm sick of this problem and this head unit. Ordered a new HU from Crutchfield. A Cheaper Double Din 4200DVD (no navi). I'm assuming if I smash this P.O.S. on the curb and put a new god damn head unit in it will solve the problem? I was hoping to just do a straight swap. I'm thinking it has to be the HU since it's on all the source? Would appreciatte the input if I put in a new HU and it still happens I'm going to lose my mind. I've been trying to fix this problem for 2 yearrs.

most likely it is the head unit, however if there is an aftermarket amp, or a factory amp, then there is a chance that they might have something to do with the problem. i would also check the wiring while doing the swap

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh! FAAAAK! Even a new HU didn't correct the problem. Only thing I can think to do is 1. Try a new amp. 2. Rip everything out and check all the speaker wiring. I can't take it anymore. One second everything is fine, the next second crackling, popping, cutting in and out on the right channel. Son of a.

Would love any ideas on how to track down this issue. Somewhere I read to swith the RCA cables and see if the problem switches sides. With a new head unit i'm not sure what else to try. Already replaced the speakers. Have NOT replaced the CDiU20 Pioneer iPod cable (could that cause a problem with other sources?) and have not replaced the amp which is an Alpine PDX 5 (4x 75 + 1 x300). Could the amp be overheating? I don't run it loud or super bassy. It's running a set of decent components in the front and some 6x9's in the back with a two 10's in a box under the seat (2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab)

Hard as hell to troubleshoot because it only happens about 50% of the time and I can't even figure out what causes it to start happening.

Ugh! FAAAAK! Even a new HU didn't correct the problem.

You mean that you're driving all your speakers from an external amp, and a new head unit that you aren't using the internal amp of didn't solve the problem? Shocking!

Would love any ideas on how to track down this issue. Somewhere I read to swith the RCA cables and see if the problem switches sides.

If you have separate L/R RCA outputs, which it doesn't sound like you do, this would be a troubleshooting step.

With a new head unit i'm not sure what else to try. Already replaced the speakers. Have NOT replaced the CDiU20 Pioneer iPod cable (could that cause a problem with other sources?) and have not replaced the amp which is an Alpine PDX 5 (4x 75 + 1 x300). Could the amp be overheating? I don't run it loud or super bassy. It's running a set of decent components in the front and some 6x9's in the back with a two 10's in a box under the seat (2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab)

The amp is where you're splitting the L/R channels, isn't it? This would've been the first thing I checked, instead of the head unit. Switch your L/R channels on the amp and wait for it to happen again.. If it happens on the right side, you might have a short or be grounding out your speaker wire to the right side.. If it's on the left side, hopefully you didn't smash your p4200 on the curb, so you can apologize to it for blaming it..

Hard as hell to troubleshoot because it only happens about 50% of the time and I can't even figure out what causes it to start happening.

Thanks. I switched the left and right channels on the amp and will see where it happens this time. Thanks for the help. As you can tell, I don't do this often and am no expert. FYI changing the amp channels was so much easier than checking all the speaker wires.

Let me know how it works out.. Apologies for my rather, uhm.. "abrasive" earlier response.. :lol:

Did you switch it out for another of the same units, or did you replace with another model/brand?

Well, with the HU I switched out the F900BT for the 4200DVD. So I lost Navigation but the radio and touchscreen is so much better I don't mind the switch. Not to mention the bigger screen. For the Alpine amp PDX 5 I left it under the front seat where it was and just switched around the RCAs left to right and right to left. Of course it didn't happen while driving around today. So intermittent is what makes it so annoying.

• 3 months later...

I've been having this issue too, my right hand side speakers have all gone out at one time or another. (so much so that I had to replace them) I have not changed out any wiring or amps yet, that will be my winter project. I thought my Amp, RCA's, or speaker wire were causing the problem, but maybe its a bad RCA Channel (side) on the head unit. I've seen alot of "right side speakers not working" threads here...