AVIC411.com

Need some help: What all do I need???

Hey all, I picked up a nice F700BT off ebay last week. I thought I was getting a deal until it arrived today and had NO wires/cords/cables with it :x Well anyways, what cables/cords/harnesses do I HAVE to have? I have an 2006 Mustang GT (non shaker) with no amps or anything like that. I was planning on installing the software bypass also, if that makes a difference. Let me know what all I need and if you know a cheap place to pick it all up! Thanks!!

Using ebay links as an example here, not endorsing or telling you to buy it from these links.

Power Harness : Link

RCA Harness: Link

GPS Antenna: Link

Microphone (just buy the garmin, it works better than the stock, and is cheaper) Link

Also, if you intend on hooking up an ipod, go to Best Buy/similar and purchase either the correct cable (not sure of the exact model number, but a quick search would reveal it) or the official Apple Composite Cable. Don't buy one on ebay.

While you're at it, just do the hardware bypass

For your Mustang, best I can tell the following is needed:

Wiring Harness

Antenna Adapter

Dash Kit

Seems to be the same parts needed for my 06 Explorer, but I'd highly recommend you go to Crutchfield and "Outfit your car" to make sure.. (meaning if you blindly order what I just told you to for your Mustang and it isn't correct, don't even think about coming back here and complaining)

Hope that all helps.. You'll also need some M5 x 6MM screws -- Trust me, autozone isn't going to have them..

That's the basics, there is other stuff that will be needed if you're going to hook up a reverse camera or anything like that...

Well, I ordered a power and RCA harness from one dealer. I assumed both were OEM, but it appears that the power harness was NOT but the RCA was. My problem is that the power harness is missing the brake sensor wire and the speed sensor wire. From what I read, the speed sensor wire isn't a problem for the F700BT and the manual says you don't even have to connect it. My dilemma is that I am almost positive that I NEED the brake sensor wire for the hardwire bypass or to even use the GPS right??

Well, I ordered a power and RCA harness from one dealer. I assumed both were OEM, but it appears that the power harness was NOT but the RCA was. My problem is that the power harness is missing the brake sensor wire and the speed sensor wire. From what I read, the speed sensor wire isn't a problem for the F700BT and the manual says you don't even have to connect it. My dilemma is that I am almost positive that I NEED the brake sensor wire for the hardwire bypass or to even use the GPS right??

I'm sure it's there, it's probably just a different color. If it truly isn't, you're going to need a different harness anyway.

Stehpanie has done a pinout for the AV harness, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find one for the power harness.

Even without the pinout, the power harness is simple process of elimation. Switched power, constant power, ground, illumination, 4 speaker pairs and.... Parking brake! Just looking at pictures of a stock harness should tell you which one is the parking brake lead if you didn't buy a genuine one.

By the way, you're totally welcome for going and linking to everything you needed, including the parts for your car. Don't mention it.

Here is a break down of what I have on the harness, from left to right:

TOP Row

1. Right Front Positive (Grey)

2. Right Front Negative (Grey/Black)

3. Left Front Positive (White)

4. Left Front Negative (White/Black)

5. Unmarked Yellow/Black

6. Amp Turn-On (Blue/White)

7. EMPTY

8. Chassis Ground (Black)

BOTTOM Row

1. Right Rear Positive (Purple)

2. Right Rear Negative (Purple/Black)

3. Left Rear Positive (Green)

4. Left Rear Negative (Green/Black)

5. EMPTY

6. Dimmer (Orange/White)

7. Ignition/Switched (Red)

8. Battery/Constant ((Yellow)

I would assume that the cable that taps into the parking break and speedometer would be the wires that go in #7 on top and #5 on the bottom? Any ideas???

Yeah... if the harness you bought doesn't have all the wires, buy one that does.

:roll:

There is no VSS on an F700BT, btw. There's no spot on an F700BT harness for it, nor would the unit recognize it if there were.

Did you buy it from ebay? Most ebay sellers that sell "OEM" harnesses provide a pinout/diagram of the harness..

Well, what I had planned on doing was to take the "System Remote Control" antenna cable (blue/white) from the RCA harness and use that for the brake sensor. All the connectors are the same, and I don't need it to connect to the antenna. I would send this one back and order the other one but I have an appointment to take my car in on Saturday. Does this sound like a decent plan? I mean all I am doing with the brake sensor is grounding it out for the bypass anyways.