AVIC411.com

F90bt with iPod and Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Out

Wondering if it is possible to control the iPod normally through the head unit but have an iPod extension cable going to the Onkyo ND-S1 and actually output the sound through digital vs. the analog outs.

The reason I ask is right now my iPhone goes analog out —> Avic —> Audison bit one analog in

It would be great if you could retain the USB iPhone/iPod controls but have the docking cable also go through the Onkyo ND-S1 (which takes digital audio out from the iPod/iPhone) and pass it digitally to the bit one. So it would be:

iPhone/iPod —> Onkyo ND-S1 docking input —> Onkyo ND-S1 digital out —> Audison bit one digital in

You could either use an iPod Y cable to split off the USB control to the AVIC or you could mod an existing cable and just split off the actual control pins.

Any ideas?

Seems like a lot of work to end up in the same spot.

You're going to all that trouble to make an analog signal digital, then plugging it back in to an analog input?

Here and here are two discussions where something isimilar, or at least the theory of it has come up.

No, the ND-S1 takes it digitally. The whole point is to bypass the iPod's DAC. It would not go analog until after it was processed in the Audison and then sent to the Audison DAC and then to the amp.

The ND-S1 takes the digital audio signal from the USB bus of the iPod and then passes the digital signal on to wherever you are sending it, in my case the audison bit one.

whatever, man. I can tell you now you're not even going to get a repsonse relating to anyone doing what you're trying.

You're bypassing the ipod's DAC for another, then passing it through something else's, then letting to go back to analog again on a passthrough, all on a deck that is made for anything other than SQ. Good plan. :roll:

Yea this is a complete waste of time for many reasons. For one, your likely not going to be able to find a cable that will allow USB control and digital out to be able to integrate everything. Second the sound improvement is not going to be so much better as to go to the trouble. People talk about how there are so much better D/A converters then whats in the ipod but then to try and utilize it in the most acoustically imperfect area a person can listen to audio, a car. In the end it is not worth all the trouble. Good luck to you however is you decide to take on the project.

You're bypassing the ipod's DAC for another, then passing it through something else's, then letting to go back to analog again on a passthrough, all on a deck that is made for anything other than SQ. Good plan. :roll:

Actually, he is bypassing the decks audio completely and the only role the AVIC would play is transport control. His idea is to take digital audio directly from the iPod and input it to his Audison Bit One. Not only are the Audison DAC's superior to both iPod and AVIC, but he would also eliminate noise in the analog cabling. Even though I am extremely knowledgeable about noise issues and analog signals, I have a major problem with RFI between my iPhone/iPod and my Rockford Fosgate 360.2 inputs.

If I had a digital input like the OP (which I will likely have when I upgrade my RF 360.2 to the Audison or JBL unit, I would love to know the answer to this question.

DCH828 - although this is a GREAT forum for your AVIC unit, you may have better luck at http://www.diymobileaudio.com. They are a DIY forum dedicated to sound quality in the car. I am willing to bet that someone can answer the question, at least about the digital audio part of your question. A few of them are flame-tards, but most are REALLY helpful.

The AVIC control question may not have an answer yet, maybe you will be the guy who teaches us something.

I wonder if anyone makes (or could hack?) an iPod y-cable where you could connect a single iPod to two docks. Sounds crazy but who knows? Maybe there is an iPod hacker forum out there with the answer to that one, too.

Good luck

Dave,

Thanks for the replies. I can tell that you understand exactly what I am trying to do. I am actually a member on diyma as well. I think I am going to try this...its just a matter of acquiring the components. If it doesn't work then I will just resell them. I don't think anyone has tried it, at least that I can find online. It would be great if it does work.