AVIC411.com

4Runner install w/ pics

Here's a little write up that I posted on another forum... since most everything applies to this forum, I decided to post it here too. My z120bt install with Sirius, backup camera, nav, iPhone connection, etc.

Almost everything is done. I haven't figured out what I want to do with the iPhone cable so I'm just running it like I had it with my USA Spec device. Also, I'm not too thrilled about the Scosche trim kit and the Metra didn't even fit. So I'm still searching for something but will stick with the Scosche until I find something.

Backup camera was probably the toughest part. Fishing the wire up the rear cargo door (along the left side of the window (driver side) up to the LEFT SIDE rubber hose took some patience. One trick I did use... I had a plastic cable organizer/raceway from home depot. It was flexible enough to fit in curves, stiff enough to push through and the cavity was large enough that I could just feed my camera cable through it. Once I got to the rubber hose and inside the headliner it was all pretty easy from there. Ran down the passenger side headliner.

Closeup of the Pioneer camera I'm using.

cameraclose.jpg

A few steps back...

camerafar.jpg

Here's the image on my head unit. I will likely do the mod to be able to switch the camera on whenever I want it. But I'm looking for a suitable (stock) looking switch.

backup.jpg

The bluetooth mic was pretty easy. I didn't like the bulky clip and I wanted a little more than just double sided tape holding on. So I took the plastic molding off my driver side pillar and drilled a hole a bit too small for the ball joint to fit through (I wanted to make sure the ball joint stayed snug). The look is a little cleaner but I'm sure some wouldn't want to put a hole in that plastic molding part. Looks a little cleaner than using the clip I think.

mic.jpg

here you can see where I drilled the hole to push the ball joint through.

mic2.jpg

As for the head unit... there's NOT alot of room to stuff that sucker in there. I have the PAC TATO, Navigation antennae and PAC SWI components directly behind the H/U. Everything else (Sirius components, backup camera components, etc) are down in the center console area.

Here's a pic of a sirius channel for those that wondered what it looked like. It's a little underwhelming from what I'm used to with my Sportster 5 unit (it gave more info and more graphics but I can life with it). Plus I like having presets at a single finger tip rather than a couple of taps (I know... petty) It does give some info but nothing like the Sportster 5.

sirius.jpg

Here's a pic playing music from my iPhone

ipod-1.jpg

Pic from a movie on my iPhone

movie.jpg

And again my custom screen that I just threw together... will probably make something new when I have the time.

IMG_0988.jpg

So far I'd have to say that I really like the unit. No big complaints so far. The bluetooth handsfree phone works GREAT! iPhone interface is ahead of any other unit I've come across.

So far so good.