AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1 Screen Won't Power Up

My AVIC Z1 Screen has decided to only power up on random occasions. It started about 2 weeks ago and after nothing working for about a week, I took it back to the installer and they said the unit was receiving power, so it must be fried. After trying to convince me that it would be better in the "long-run" to purchase the new model rather than sending the unit back to Pioneer for repairs, I decided to do some research on my own. 2 days ago, it mysteriously stared back up again and worked fine for 1 day. It then went back off and has only come on again this morning for 10 minutes. I was able to get the screen open and remove the hard drive before the unit turned off and reinstall but still nothing. It sounds as though something is working as the unit has a hum when you put your ear up to it. It is getting power but won't turn on the screen. Other than a few minor issues with the Bluetooth, this has been a great unit and I would like to continue to use as it is only 4 years old.

Please help!

sounds like a ribbon cable issue to me, any units that have a motorized face have to have some way of connecting the face to the circuit boards, this is done with a ribbon cable, and other than the motor wearing out, ribbon cables are the most common issues you will have with a unit that has a motorized face.

basically if the ribbon cable wears out then the unit gets power but the screen acts like it is dead since it gets no signals or power from the body, if this is the problem then repairing the unit shouldn't cost too much probably around $75-$100 but you will want to check with pioneer to be sure

• 2 months later...

- 1loudls-

I have a fully functional Pioneer AVIC-Z1 In-Dash GPS Navigation Unit. It is in great overall condition with a few minor scratches on the screen from removal. The unit works sometimes, I bought an extra hard-drive with 2009 map software on it to see if that was the problem and still sometimes it don't boot up all the way.it sounds like the ribbon issue but ill check around with pioneer and see what they say but im almost positive that what it can be any ideas man ???? help i refuse to buy a new one