AVIC411.com

iPod/iPhone DASH INPUTS (Factory Look)

nice, but who wants to see wires. i like less visable wires sorry,just me jim

your right, i wouldn't have them just out in the poen, but it would make it nice and clean to have those connectors inside the center console looking super clean like it rolled off of the factory that way

some people might want to use the usb more than their ipods and if there using thumb drives, it might be easier to plug in and out it the connection is out in the open, also if it is out in the open, then you can also just plug your phone cable into it to charge your phones (as most blackberries, and G-phones use a micro usb plug)

If anybody gets the USB Cable (P/N: USBCBL) and install it on their dash. I'd like to see your pictures.

BTW I ordered the parts I need to get the 3.5mm A/V Jack fabricated, i'm just waiting for them in the mail.

What I'm gonna use:

Dorman Nylon Rivet (Part No: 961-055) --- >$2.99 (at your local autozone)

Automotive Glue (Part No: 160012) --------- $4.99 (at your local autozone) or any strong glue for that matter.

Calrad 3.5mm AV Jack (Part No: 30-712) --------------------- $1.07 (http://store.svideodotcom.com/30-712.html)

Any standard mini jack to 3 RCA Cable ----- $0.99 (Ebay item #: 260575086812)

Heatshrink tubes ------------------------------ (Got some at the house :) )

When's it's all done I'll post some pictures.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

@ RonS, Yeah I did some copying and pasting and a little bit of creation myself to put the diagram together.

Thanks for the idea, ... it got me searching the net and found something that might actually do the trick. I found a 3.5mm snap-in jack from CALRAD (Part No: 30-712). I'll have to do a little bit of soldering but this looks promising. But before I start soldering I'll have to figure out the pinout for Pioneer's plug i.e. 1)Ground, 2)Audio Left, 3)Audio Right, 4)Video or 2314 or 2341, etc...

30-712.JPG

So what do you think about it ?

Did you ever get this done?

I bought two of these Calrad 30-712 jacks to play with, but I don't know which contact goes to which wire on the cable.

Did you ever get this done?

I bought two of these Calrad 30-712 jacks to play with, but I don't know which contact goes to which wire on the cable.

No actually I got the pinout configured but it never worked. Maybe my soldering job might have been crappy. The logic behind it was simple though. instead I did something else: used the actual input from the pioneer headset, and attached it to my dash with some rubber pieces I bought from Home Depot. I posted the pictures in my post previous to this one. Easier that way :)!

No actually I got the pinout configured but it never worked. Maybe my soldering job might have been crappy. The logic behind it was simple though. instead I did something else: used the actual input from the pioneer headset, and attached it to my dash with some rubber pieces I bought from Home Depot. I posted the pictures in my post previous to this one. Easier that way :)!

Thanks. I didn't see that post until after I had quoted you in my previous post. :P

So how does that expansion nut work? Do you simply insert the 3.5mm input from the Pioneer USB / 3.5mm cable (that's connected to the back of the Pioneer) into the expansion nut? Is it a tight fit? Does the whole thing tend to pull out when you unplug the 3.5mm cable from it?

How big a hole do I drill for the expansion nut to fit tightly in my dash?

Thanks. I didn't see that post until after I had quoted you in my previous post. :P

So how does that expansion nut work? Do you simply insert the 3.5mm input from the Pioneer USB / 3.5mm cable (that's connected to the back of the Pioneer) into the expansion nut? Is it a tight fit? Does the whole thing tend to pull out when you unplug the 3.5mm cable from it?

How big a hole do I drill for the expansion nut to fit tightly in my dash?

Yeah it's real tight in there, and it won't come off just by simply plugging your ipod in and out of it. You'll have to progressively get the hole to the size it needs to be to get the tight fit. I started with a 3/8" drill bit. Then You'll have to cut the bottom of the expansion nut cuz there's a threaded metal end to it. you'll need to cut it so you can push the actual jack (from the pioneer H/U) in there. then the rubber washer is just for cosmetic (to match my USB input next to it)

• 4 months later...

So did you completely remove the metal threaded piece that was in the expansion nut? Just got my Z120BT and it's 3.5mm jack is pretty thick. Seems like I have to completely remove that metal threaded piece from the expansion nut.

Here are some pictures !

post-44675-0-99337700-1309655457_thumb.jpg

post-44675-0-63248500-1309655489_thumb.jpg

post-44675-0-94251400-1309655513_thumb.jpg

post-44675-0-64869700-1309655553_thumb.jpg