AVIC411.com

x920BT GPS Accuracy & Mic Quality

Two Issue's I'm noticing with my X920bt;

- The navigation arrow that represents your car on the map always seems to be 20-40 feet behind where I actually am located. My X710bt meanwhile is spot on accurate.

- Everyone says I sound like shit through the X920bt's microphone. I have it well placed in the same spot the mic is located with my X710 which everyone says I sound fine on. I did notice the mic's are slightly different between the two models. Is the X920bt notorious for a shitty mic or something?

Otherwise I'm loving the X920bt

Two Issue's I'm noticing with my X920bt;

- Everyone says I sound like shit through the X920bt's microphone. I have it well placed in the same spot the mic is located with my X710 which everyone says I sound fine on. I did notice the mic's are slightly different between the two models. Is the X920bt notorious for a shitty mic or something?

congrats on being a member of the club, unfortunately I was never able to resolve the BT issues and my unit had to go back.

BT issues are extensively covered in this thread > viewtopic.php?f=58&t=28257

I too just purchased a 920 and have a 710 in another vehicle. My experience with the GPS accuracy has been the same as yours. It shows really bad when you take an offramp and you have to be a couple hundred feet from the highway before it knows you are on the offramp. The 720 always tracks perfectly. Would have thought the 920 would have been better. I'm getting good GPS signal so I don't know what is wrong. Maybe I'll try the firmware update.

Is there a calibration type thing for the GPS on the X920BT? I used my X710BT today and the center of the arrow represents exactly where I am located. On the X920BT even the tip of the arrow is 20 feet behind my actual location.

And what have people done to rectify (or attempt to rectify) the shitty microphone (or is it something with bluetooth) on the X920BT?

And what have people done to rectify (or attempt to rectify) the shitty microphone (or is it something with bluetooth) on the X920BT?

Did you go to the thread I pointed you at that deals extensively with EXACTLY this issue and what people have done?

No, I haven't had the time to read through the ten pages (no sarcasm, I actually intend to skim through it). Are there actual solutions or would my time be better spent otherwise?

Anything else regarding the navigation lag issue?

The unit will be calibrating for a while and could take up to 1k plus miles before it improves. It likely will still be a little behind however. The mic issue is not mic related and is related to the BT software. It is about a 50/50 split on weather you will have good or bad BT with these units and you wont know until you get the unit. It appears you are one of the unlucky ones. These are issues that go all the way back to the Z110BT and it doesn't appear that Pioneer is concerned or feel there is a problems.

The unit will be calibrating for a while and could take up to 1k plus miles before it improves. It likely will still be a little behind however. The mic issue is not mic related and is related to the BT software. It is about a 50/50 split on weather you will have good or bad BT with these units and you wont know until you get the unit. It appears you are one of the unlucky ones. These are issues that go all the way back to the Z110BT and it doesn't appear that Pioneer is concerned or feel there is a problems.

That's disappointing. I've actually been very happy thus far with my X710BT despite the sometimes negative reviews these Pioneer's get. I haven't taken the car witht he X920BT on a very far drive yet or even on the freeway, I was thinking that after driving around on varying types of roads it would calibrate itself more accurately.

Is there any firmware update or anything I can do short of sending the unit in for service regarding the bluetooth? Thanks for your time

There is no firmware update and sending it in for servicing will do nothing for you. Pioneer doesn't recognize it as a problem. It is hoped that they will issue an update to address the BT but there has been no indication that they will or when.

I skimmed through that thread, here's what I've collected as possible remedies;

- Pair the Phone/Avic with the BT volume all the way up on both units

- Wrap some tape around the vents on the side of the mic

- Don't touch the Map/OK button until the call has connected

- Move the mic to the upper left corner/a pillar

- Check some settings on the Avic

- Repair the phone with the Avic

- Make sure the mic isn't in the path of any air vents

I like that last point, because I may have had heat on in the car, and in that car the heat is always directed the same way as defog...the windshield vent.

I sent my unit in for repairs for the nav accuracy problems and it came back the same way! They said they replaced a control module but I dont think they really fixed anything. Updated software should correct the problem. all of the factory navs I've ever owned have been spot on.

I'll be contacting Pioneer to make my voice heard. Maybe if they get enough complaints they'll fix the problem.