AVIC411.com

Newbie Install Question

Hi everyone, love the site and was hoping to gain some insight. I have a 2006 Frontier with the premium sound system but someone just ripped my ipod out and damaged the interface cable. I am not familiar with anywhere to repair/replace the damaged cable and Nissan sells the whole ipod kit for over $200. So that has me thinking of X920BT if I am going to be dropping that kind of money for just a repair.

My issue is that I have never done any car audio work before...nada. I am pretty handy with electronics in general and can solder things with no trouble. I just don't have much confidence until I have actually done something or been walked though it. What I am looking to do is just swap out the head unit right now and integrate with the factory amplifier. It seems like this bit has caused lots of issues with volume levels and whine for folks. Some people mentioned using the pre-outputs...is that possible on the X920BT or just other models? Baring that, does anyone have any experience with line level converters? Those all seem to be 2 or 4 channels...does the sub woofer not need to be adjusted as well?

If there is any other basic installation advice, I would love to hear it. Anything that I need to worry about with the wiring harness or integrating with steering wheel controls?

Thanks