AVIC411.com

D1 lost sound in '06 Avalon Limited

I recently bought a used Avalon which had an Avic D-1 installed. Shortly thereafter I noticed a couple of things that did not look right: the Avalon factory A/C - Radio display always shows a radio station (89.1FM). I can see no way to turn this off as the factory radio is not present but it does (or didn't) not bother me that much. The D-1 appears to function properly in every way (radio, CD and nav) except that the Front to Rear speaker fade does not change anything - front and back speakers work all the time no matter the setting. I don't know if it was wired wrong or if this is a sign of some other problem. This past weekend I changed the car's battery. After I connected the new battery several things had changed: 1) the radio station no longer shows in the factory display, 2) the backlighting for the A/C buttons no longer work and 3) I have no sound from the speakers. I have checked the fuses for the radio and the amp - they are good. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the problem?

• 3 weeks later...

The radio display on the car's dash may have to be turned off by the dealer or someone with a handheld computer programming tool compatible with your car. Basically, you have to tell your car it no longer has the factory radio installed.

In some cars, like my Audi, it's possible for the owner to easily tell the car to stop displaying radio info on the instrument display. Don't know about the Avalon.

The rest of it sounds like a TON of really sloppy and silly installation and wiring errors to me. Without getting into the hyper-details of your car's wiring diagram, fuse structure, and what was done in your install, it's going to be hard for folks to definitely figure out what the installer did wrong.

Thanks.... that is what I was afraid of - I will probably try re-wiring it from scratch. If I can't get it to work I'll take it somewhere to have it done right.

The radio display on the car's dash may have to be turned off by the dealer or someone with a handheld computer programming tool compatible with your car. Basically, you have to tell your car it no longer has the factory radio installed.

In some cars, like my Audi, it's possible for the owner to easily tell the car to stop displaying radio info on the instrument display. Don't know about the Avalon.

The rest of it sounds like a TON of really sloppy and silly installation and wiring errors to me. Without getting into the hyper-details of your car's wiring diagram, fuse structure, and what was done in your install, it's going to be hard for folks to definitely figure out what the installer did wrong.