AVIC411.com

Problem with BT on 920BT and Bold 9700

Hello to all. I've been somewhat of a lurker on this site since my first AVIC which was a f900bt. I sold that unit a year ago or so and just purchased a 920bt two days ago. I'll try to keep this simple, but the installers, pioneer, nor At&t could help me so far. Maybe someone here can, and I would greatly appreciate it. I had no devices on my phone prior to yesterday. I turned on the BT on my phone and it showed a device that said Bluetooth Hands Free and showed connected. When pressing the phone button on the 920 it was all grayed out. I then paired the phone with the unit and another device popped up showing Pioneer NAVI. As soon as I disconnected the first device, then everything worked as normal. This morning after starting up it automatically connected the Bluetooth Hands Free device, and once again I disconnected it and all was well. I ASSUMED that I did not need this first device, so I deleted it from my phone, now I keep receiving a message on my phone that says Bluetooth Hands Free cannot connect and I cannot pair up with the other Pioneer NAVI device showing in my phone. I have restored the settings on the unit, and done everything but master clear my phone. The error message goes away when the 920 is off, or if I turn BT off on my phone. Does anybody have any idea what the heck I can do? Thanks in advance again!!

Hello to all. I've been somewhat of a lurker on this site since my first AVIC which was a f900bt. I sold that unit a year ago or so and just purchased a 920bt two days ago. I'll try to keep this simple, but the installers, pioneer, nor At&t could help me so far. Maybe someone here can, and I would greatly appreciate it. I had no devices on my phone prior to yesterday. I turned on the BT on my phone and it showed a device that said Bluetooth Hands Free and showed connected. When pressing the phone button on the 920 it was all grayed out. I then paired the phone with the unit and another device popped up showing Pioneer NAVI. As soon as I disconnected the first device, then everything worked as normal. This morning after starting up it automatically connected the Bluetooth Hands Free device, and once again I disconnected it and all was well. I ASSUMED that I did not need this first device, so I deleted it from my phone, now I keep receiving a message on my phone that says Bluetooth Hands Free cannot connect and I cannot pair up with the other Pioneer NAVI device showing in my phone. I have restored the settings on the unit, and done everything but master clear my phone. The error message goes away when the 920 is off, or if I turn BT off on my phone. Does anybody have any idea what the heck I can do? Thanks in advance again!!

Did you UNPAIR all devices from your phone on the PHONE side? In other words, yty getting rid of all previously-paired devices in your PHONE'S list of memorized Bluetooth devices...and then start from scratch using the X920 manual. (i.e., Turn on your phone's Bluetooth, tell it to be "discoverable, and then immediately initiate pairing from the X920, etc.)

Did you UNPAIR all devices from your phone on the PHONE side? In other words, yty getting rid of all previously-paired devices in your PHONE'S list of memorized Bluetooth devices...and then start from scratch using the X920 manual. (i.e., Turn on your phone's Bluetooth, tell it to be "discoverable, and then immediately initiate pairing from the X920, etc.)

I did unpair all the devices and started over from scratch and also told it to be discoverable, but it still wants to connect to the first hands free device that i deleted as soon as I turn on the BT on the phone and the radio is on. I am about to do a master reset on the phone and see if that works, unless you know of anything else that may help. Thanks, again!

So, I master reset the phone and radio, and now it says BT audio device failed to connect, and repeatedly flashes on my phone until I turn off the radio. It let me pair up with the NAVI, but it doesn't work at all. I'm totally at a loss now.......

I think we'll be able to get this to work.

First, it sounds like your Bold 9700 MAY still have either the "Pioneer Navi" device -- or an additional device -- as a paired/trusted device and is trying to connect by default as soon as you turn Bluetooth on.

Or perhaps (less likely), when you turn Bluetooth ON, the phone is trying to get out the last error messages that were caught in its message "stack" and it's reporting on what happened LAST TIME because it never got a chance to.

Aside: Note that the Pioneer AVICs, including the X920BT, sometimes suffer from a delayed message problem. For example, if my buddy has a problem connecting his phone using Bluetooth for some reason, he sometimes gives up and goes inside. The next time he comes out to the car and reconnects, the "successful" connection message is first preceded by an error message ON THE AVIC from the DAY BEFORE that the AVIC never managed to spit out. He ignores the message on the AVIC and continues to connect, and it works fine. It's a delayed message bug on Pioneer's part, but since their programmers suck balls, AVIC users are stuck with shit like this. This problem may be playing a role in your interpretation of what's going on.

Anyway, back to helping you...

You have GOT to find a way to be 100% sure that you've properly deleted ALL stored/trusted Bluetooth devices from your phone before getting within a mile of the AVIC and starting all over again.

For now, you should also try turning OFF any options on your phone that tell it to auto-connect when Bluetooth is first turned on. Let's solve the basic connection issue and worry about auto-connecting later, ok?

Specific guidance:

1. Are you doing THIS first?

2. Other people with your phone seem to have this issue connecting to various car Bluetooth units. HERE is a post you should read. HERE is another one. Per my advice above, try following these posts to understand how to turn OFF auto-connect or "trusted" device on your Bold while we debug this.

3. You understand the correct PIN code for the AVIC, yes? I think the default is 1111 on the X-series?

A little more detailed step-by-step description of EXACTLY what you're doing each time...line by line, key-press-by-keypress, might help us. Your description of everything you did wasn't super detailed....

I mean something like...

"1. Turn phone ON...AVIC is OFF"

"2. On Blackberry, went to Menu->Settings->Etc..."

"3. Blackberry screen says "Bluetooth turning ON"...

Etc.

Well, it is fixed. I found an old backup on my computer, installed it, and wala! I turned the BT on on my phone and it instantly created a device called BT Handsfree. I then paired the phone with the NAVI, note "disconnected" the BT Handsfree connection, not removed, connected the NAVI, and it works perfect. I believe the first device that it automatically created has something to do with BT audio, because that option has a red "x" beside it on my phone's menu. Thanks Johnny for your words of wisdom!