AVIC411.com

Avic wire harness compatibility

I just picked up a used avic-d3 but the RCA harness is missing the rear and sub outs. It seems like a lot of avic gear uses the same connector jacks on the head unit for the RCA breakout or the power harnesses. However, it seems Pioneer has unique part numbers for the D3 vs previous units. The question I have is are any other harnesses compatible with the D3? I'm good at repair work so I have no problem building the correct harness if need be, I would just need the pinouts.

The D3 cables are around $50 each, and while that may be cheap when compared to the MSRP of the head unit, that is almost a third the cost of a used unit. I see z series cables much cheaper on eBay.

Karl

I just picked up a used avic-d3 but the RCA harness is missing the rear and sub outs. It seems like a lot of avic gear uses the same connector jacks on the head unit for the RCA breakout or the power harnesses. However, it seems Pioneer has unique part numbers for the D3 vs previous units. The question I have is are any other harnesses compatible with the D3? I'm good at repair work so I have no problem building the correct harness if need be, I would just need the pinouts.

The D3 cables are around $50 each, and while that may be cheap when compared to the MSRP of the head unit, that is almost a third the cost of a used unit. I see z series cables much cheaper on eBay.

Karl

D3 vs. later unit harness questions have been asked and answered in a million threads in this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Really? Cause I looked. wire harness, power harness (can't search RCA), 1064 etc..

Basically the power harness is the same (except blue wire becomes blue/white moving from D3 to Z/X), but the RCA harnesses are different...different connectors, different pinouts.

I upgraded my buddy's D3 to an X920BT for him. We used the same black (power) harness from his D3, which also includes the basic sound out stuff...and sent the new one from the X920 off to the guy who bought the D3 on eBay.

The pinouts/purpose of all wires are shown in the installation manuals for both sets of products (both documents easily available on pioneerelectronics.com)