AVIC411.com

F20BT - An extensive "ask before you buy" list

Hi everyone,

I have read the FAQ, however some doubts still remain unanswered; hope someone can explain ,possibly a F20BT owner!

A few days ago, I've decided to remove the car stereo navi-brick in my Grand Cherokee;digging around it looks like the F20BT is the top choice car stereo. Unfortunately the GC sports a non standard stereo fit, this will require a filling-frame...ugly (I will ask a craftsman to customize the frame asking for a better texture).

Now the questions:

1) Looking at the pictures, it looks like the F20BT, will "lean" for some 2/4 millimetres over the dashboard's plane; is this by design, to allow the display-panel tilt, or are there some chances to mount the car stereo "in plane"?

2) Assuming the Grand Cherokee actually sports some stereo remote controls over the steering wheel (3 buttons per each hand), what minimum functionality can be expected from this? Is there any particular advise/requirement choosing the proper remote-control interface?

In my previous car, I used to play music with my current Nokia 97 mini, over an A2DP bluetooth connection paired to the Nokia CK-300 car kit; while the sound quality was EXCELLENT, the phone suffered from pitch/tempo woes, squeezing and stretching music playback speed; according to Nokia's support this was due to the stressful CPU-intensive music playback whn playing AACs tracks with 256kbps @ 44Khz. Simply Woeful. Reading the F20BT manual, the iPod looks like the perfect mate for this car stereo, however some details seems unexplained. For example:

3) Is it possible to use NATIVE iPod/iPhone playlists, WITHOUT using MusicSphere? While MusicSphere functionality seems very interesting, there will certainly be occasions where the user wants to simply use iPod playlists. Did someone test if this will work or not? If so, will this functionality be managed from the car stereo, or will it be managed from the iPod/iPhone?

To make things "easier" I thought about using an iPhone 4 in the car, just to pair phone and music player functionality, however:

4) How does the F20BT manages incoming calls when using the iPhone as a cable-connected music player? Will it work? Will the phone functionality be delivered through BT connection? Reliably? Any phone freeze/reboot/failure?

5) Any advise and "what to expect" for iPhone (4) users?

Easier but still-important questions:

6) How does the F20BT compares with top contenders from Alpine or Kenwood?

7) How often are maps updated, and what expectations exists about the F20BT being supported in the future by means of firmware updates and new functionality being implemented?

6) What accessories are available for this car stereo? Would you advise some particular gadgets like rear cam, TV or?

a really BIG thanks to anyone can help. I believe the community will benefit from this!

Cheers!

2. The PAC SWI-PS is the module you need to retain your steering wheel controls. There are other options, particularly to your country but the custom programing functions of these other options are questionable. The PAC allows you to program any button originally meant for the factory stereo, to any of the AVIC's remote functions.

3. Yes and everything is managed from within the iDevice. The unit just controls it.

4. It works as any other BT phone. When you receive a call, the music being played is muted and the iDevice is switched to BT call mode. When you finish the call the music is unmated. Call quality with these units is not consistent between users however. You may have a friend with this unit have excellent call quality and you have terrible call quality, you wont know until you try it.

5. Its fully compatible and offers no known issues.

6. Well this is very opinionated of course. I have own both units and have extensive experience with both and I can tell you the Kenwood DNX9960 is a far superior unit in most categories. The Pioneer has a much better laid out AV interface and has a much smoother UI. But the advantages end there with Pioneer. I have a thread that compares the units at the following link. You should give it a read before purchasing either unit. http://kenwoodforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=897

7. Maps are updated once a year usually around late summer. We will know more in January when the CES show starts so stay tuned for then.

8. I would certainly recommend a back up camera. Any camera advertised as a backup cam will work. I would avoid cheap CMOS cams made and shipped from China on eBay however. Look for a CCD camera like the ones made by BOYO. They run about 100 bucks.

Extremely helpful mate! :-D

Just two questions more related to the iPhone:

A - basically when using the iPhone you will end having a cable connection for music and a BT connection for phone calls, correct? This works seamlessly, according to your experience.

B - Did you try streaming iPhone music through BT? Should work great with A2DP, although loosing cable-related functionality....

Thanks again for helping, and I will certainly have a look to the thread you pointed out :-)

In the comparison thread, I assume the Z120 is the American counterpart to the Euro F20BT. Correct?

According to your opinions the 9960 has superior sound quality and better GPS. Running on Navteq maps both units will suck IMO. I can witness a poor experience with my last two Nokia phones based on those maps, basically outdated.

Piooner support told me maps are updated once a here, who knows why; with and SD interface they could choose to follow a monthly schedule.

Back to the "perfect choice", iDevice support in my case has a plus, of course sound quality too. However the current Boston Acoustic loudspeakers in my car don't seem to be excellent, so maybe I could stick with the Pio unit....

Your thoughts?

Mate, back from reading on the Net, including your Kenwood site.

I have read that the Kenwood is quite better than the Pio.

Mostly because GPS maps on the Pio **SUCK** out of cities

On the Kenwodd side the UI is extremely slow, particularly when dealing with iPod covers.

Can you confirm? According to your experience will this be fixed with newer firmware releases? Does Kenwood provides firmware updates often?

Thanks for helping

The 9960 is by far a better unit in nearly every category. The interface is slower and less detailed and flashy but that is about the only downside on the 9960. There is no indication that there will be a firmware update to address anymore issues with the Kenwoods at this point. The new units should be announced in January so the focus will be on them from that point. I never had that big of an issue with the slow interface when I had my unit. I mostly just used the VR to control most of the unit. VR is something you wont get outside of the US with Pioneer. Maps upgrades for the Kenwood are also only once a year.