AVIC411.com

Two X- & Z- Series iPod EQ & Sound Level ??s

All:

The old D3 manual implied it automatically adjusted sound levels across files on an iPod and recommended keeping "Sound Check" turned off in the iPod for that reason. I was never sure it actually WORKED, however...so I generally kept it turned on....

Questions regarding the newer units:

1. I don't see anything in my buddy's X920BT manual that says anything about this. Do the new units automatically adjust the sound levels across songs? I don't think so based on our experimentation...but we're interested in other opinions. Anyone?

2. Do the X- or Z- units' EQ settings *OVERRIDE* those in the iPod when it's connected? It would be a hassle to turn off the iPod's own EQ setting everytime you take the iPod from the AVIC to the gym and vice versa. The manual on page 172-4 is very confusing about EQ settings, but definitely doesn't say anything about this that we can see. Anyone?

- JD

Do the new units automatically adjust the sound levels across songs?

no it does not (or at least it does not do a good job doing so) as with my ipod the volume jumps all over the place with different songs

Do the X- or Z- units' EQ settings *OVERRIDE* those in the iPod when it's connected? It would be a hassle to turn off the iPod's own EQ setting everytime you take the iPod from the AVIC to the gym and vice versa.

i just went out to my car to test this, and with my F900 and my 5th gen Ipod (Iopd video) it does not overide any of the Ipod's EQ settings, it actually "adds" to them. what ever your Ipod's EQ settings are set to will get sent into the AVIC exactly the same as a set of head phones, then the AVIC will adjust the sound again according to its EQ settings

It would be a hassle to turn off the iPod's own EQ setting everytime you take the iPod from the AVIC to the gym and vice versa.
your sure right there, it looks like its going to come down to where you would like it to sound better, with head phones or in the car, and then just leaving it set that way

As far as I know the audio that passes through the dock connector on the ipod bypasses the internal EQ altogether.

i dont know if that has changed with any newer Ipods or the Iphone, but at least the older ones do not (even though it definitely should)

no it does not (or at least it does not do a good job doing so) as with my ipod the volume jumps all over the place with different songs

i just went out to my car to test this, and with my F900 and my 5th gen Ipod (Iopd video) it does not overide any of the Ipod's EQ settings, it actually "adds" to them. what ever your Ipod's EQ settings are set to will get sent into the AVIC exactly the same as a set of head phones, then the AVIC will adjust the sound again according to its EQ settings

your sure right there, it looks like its going to come down to where you would like it to sound better, with head phones or in the car, and then just leaving it set that way

i dont know if that has changed with any newer Ipods or the Iphone, but at least the older ones do not (even though it definitely should)

Thanks for testing this!!

Assuming your test results are correct, this does indeed suck. The Pioneer SHOULD have been programmed to automatically level the sound across songs, regardless of whether the iPod's 'Sound Check' feature is enabled. And it SHOULD have been programmed to apply only the AVIC equalizer, ignoring the iPod's settings (assuming that's possible). Adding on to the iPod's EQ is plain silly. As you point out, the EQ settings one would need for headphones in the gym are totally different than what would need in one's car. If you forget that you left your iPod EQ set to something when you plug it back into your car, the two EQ's can be fighting each other....dumb. Maybe they'll read this and include a fix in a future software update...

Assuming your test results are correct,
are you saying that my clinical trial wasn't up to the highest standards? using a sound level meter, i had usher/lil john's "yeah" playing with the "bass reducer" and "bass booster" eq settings turned on at the same volume (level 30) and there was over a 20db difference between the two settings.

this does indeed suck. The Pioneer SHOULD have been programmed to automatically level the sound across songs, regardless of whether the iPod's 'Sound Check' feature is enabled.
the only thing about that is that the software that does that negitively effects sound quality, as it usually doesnt boost quiet music, it usually attenuates all music over a certian level, which can make music that changes drasticly from quiet to loud a lot, sound real bad and uneven

And it SHOULD have been programmed to apply only the AVIC equalizer, ignoring the iPod's settings (assuming that's possible).
i agree, but i do not believe that apple give this amount of control to other devices through USB.

Maybe they'll read this and include a fix in a future software update...

and maybe one day i'll find a hooker that loves me for me instead of always loving my wallet.ROFL

the only thing about that is that the software that does that negitively effects sound quality, as it usually doesnt boost quiet music, it usually attenuates all music over a certian level, which can make music that changes drasticly from quiet to loud a lot, sound real bad and uneven

It should be an OPTION that one can toggle on/off in the AVIC menus. Doesn't have to be mandatory.

You used a sound meter for your tests, by the way? Wow! Which model?