AVIC411.com

iPhone / iPod Charging Mod?

I am wondering if there are any posts out there that discuss mods to the pin-outs on various cables used to attach iPhone / iPod to our head units. What I have noticed is that I can charge my iPhone / iPod via a USB that connects to my cigarette lighter. However, when I try charging devices using the cable connected to the head unit (F90BT) it appears to only trickle charge the device and it takes quite awhile to boot if the battery is low . If I plug it into the cigarette lighter it starts immediately. This is more common during the winter months when the outside temperature is low and the iPod is cold.

What I am trying to find is a permanent fix to this problem by tapping into a 12v power supply similar in amperage to a cigarette lighter and mod the power wires for the HU cable so that it will emulate charging form the cigarette lighter. I use a Belkin cable.

Any insight would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Originally, I was using the Pioneer OEM cable to connect the iPod. When the sound started to go in and out of the right channel I chose a Belkin iPod AV unit with USB and RCA's and iPod connection. This one always had a problem with splashing me with multiple iPod warnings on my phone. Sound started to flicker in and out again on the right channel. Feed up with it I decided to go with this apple composite cable http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY My Phone now charges (was not expecting that) and blissful audio enter through all speakers 100% of the time. My HU is the F90BT. Hope this helps anyone with this annoying problem.