AVIC411.com

AVIC F500BT Start-up problems

Hey All,

I have an AVIC F500BT that I purchased about a year ago. It worked fine for about 6 months, then simply wouldn't turn on. I put it away until today after becoming frustrated. Today, I found this forum and went through everything I could find on resetting and restarting this unit. I performed the following operations and received the corresponding result:

- I did a "hard reset", as per the user's manual. After plugging in the AC adapter directly to the unit and re-installing the battery, I held the "power" button. After 5 seconds, the blue LED flashed, the screen turned on and became solid white, and the blue LED flashes at a rate of 2 Hz. This is the first response I've been able to get out of this thing. Previously, no combination of button presses or plugged-in cords would produce a response.

- I did a "soft reset" by pressing the reset button on the back of the unit. The screen goes black, turns back on and goes to white, and the blue LED is off.

- I let the battery charge for a few hours and unplugged the AC adapter. I held the power button for 5 seconds, and the blue LED flashes and begins to blink at 2 Hz but the screen remains black.

- I did a "soft reset" with the AC adapter unplugged and the blue LED turns off and screen remains black. However, when I put my ear to the unit I can hear something going on inside there.

- If the unit is on, I turn it off by holding the power button for 5 seconds.

- I downloaded the testmode 2.3 file, copied it onto an SD card, inserted the SD card, and started the unit up. When the AC adapter is plugged in, the screen goes to solid white and the blue LED blinks (same as without the SD card in). When the AC adapter is unplugged, I hear the unit start up and the blue LED blinks, but the screen remains black (same as without the SD card in).

- I downloaded the firmware update 2.003 from Pioneer and copied it onto the SD card, as per the instructions. I insert the card, and the same thing happens as I mentioned above - that is, nothing different.

So, I am stumped. I haven't come across a post on this forum with someone that describes exactly the same problem (and a viable solution), but I'm not sending this thing back to Pioneer. I can't boot into test mode, I can't update the firmware, I can't back up the existing firmware, and I can't get the "Pioneer" start screen to come up. I bought this thing brand new and never tried anything fancy with it - no hacks, updates, nothing. I never even put an SD card in it before today. I should mention that most of my testing has been done with the unit not in the "car cradle" with all of the extra wires, though I did clip it into the car cradle and hook up the AC adapter for a few tests - no change in result. Can someone please help me figure out what is going on with this thing?

Thank you,

AJ

• 3 months later...