AVIC411.com

AVIC-F500BT Quick Question Please Answer

So, I just installed an AVIC-F500BT in my dash and was smart enough to mount it using an SD extension cable so that I can remove the SD card. However, I can't get to the back of the unit to press to reset button so I hope this isn't needed. I found out, only after installing, about the parking brake software issue. I mounted the wire to a ground so it tricked it mechanically but, to trick the software, I understand I need to follow these steps:

Avic F500

Note: Get into Windows mode using testmode. Save a copy of your oringnal My Flash Disk files incase you need to revert back.

1) Copy My Flash Disk files from your pioneer unit to an SD card. Then copy the My Flash Disk files fron your SD card to your pc.

2) Using the copy you just put on your computer navigate to \My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo\data.zip\project_config

3) Copy the pioneer.ini file to any folder on your desktop so you can edit it in note pad. Do not unzip the data file.

4) Open the pioneer.ini file with notepad and edit the "parking_break_speed=16.0" to "parking_break_speed=128.0"

5) Save file by clicking on File\Save As, makes sure you change the "Save As Type" to "All Files" and name the file pioneer.ini, this will save it as the correct file type.

6) Copy and paste the file you just saved (pioneer.ini) back in to the \My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo\data.zip\project_config location. It should ask you if you would like to replace the exisiting file, if you've copied it to the correct location.

7) Now copy the data zip file from your pc (\My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo\data.zip\project_config) to your SD card \My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo\project_config on your SD card.

8 ) Install the SD card in your unit and boot to Windows CE.

9) Copy data.zip file (\My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo\data.zip\project_config) from your SD card to the \My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo\data.zip\project_config in your system folder on your pioneer unit.

10) Shutdown unit, remove SD card and reboot.

11) If done correctly you should be good to go. The parking brake does need to be grounded if you're using the optional amp accessory for the AVIC-F500BT

I updated the unit with the latest software and so here is my question.

TO CHANGE THE SOFTWARE ON THE AVIC TO ALLOW FOR VIDEO WHILE MOVING, DO I NEED TO ENTER TESTMODE AT ALL OR CAN I JUST TAKE OUT THE SD CARD, PUT IT IN MY COMPUTER, MODIFY THAT ONE FILE, AND PUT IT BACK IN THE AVIC?

Mounted

5604062868_b991da8349_z.jpg

Reason I DON'T want to have to take out the unit to get to the reset button. Would have to take all of the car apart again to get the dash trim out that it is glued to :(

5604130808_7942f2ac7d_z.jpg

Load the SD card with TEST MODE software and the new version of AVIC software. If your unit is in sleep mode, you need to restart the unit by holding the power button for more than 5 seconds to turn it off, and power back it on. Your unit should now boot into TEST MODE and you can then copy the software to your internal storage. No need to reset the unit from the back.

Load the SD card with TEST MODE software and the new version of AVIC software. If your unit is in sleep mode, you need to restart the unit by holding the power button for more than 5 seconds to turn it off, and power back it on. Your unit should now boot into TEST MODE and you can then copy the software to your internal storage. No need to reset the unit from the back.

This is about to sound SUPER NOOB but could you elaborate on the following.

- Test mode software and the "new version of avic software". What "new version of avic software" are you referring to? If I remove the SD CARD from the AVIC unit and plug it into my computer, will I be able to simply modify a program that will already be on there or is there other "new version of software" i first need to download? Also, the test mode software... where is that found?

- Once I have "new version of software" and Test mode software, I just turn it off and on.. .easy enough

- Now it will boot with test mode and I can copy software (which portion?) to the internal storage?

Are you available to help via email or phone? I will message you PM

Software is run from the internal storage (see step 6 in your original post). The SD card is only used to backup and transfer the new or modified software to the internal storage.

Here's how F500BT load/boot up (a simplified view):

1. It load the Windows CE image stored in the programmable ROM.

2. Check all mounted devices (internal storage, SD card and USB drive) and see if it need to performance any specific task.

3. If no specific task found, load the application in the internal storage. Unit now operates as normal.

In order to modify the application in the internal storage, the unit need to by-pass the application loading in step 3 and boot into normal Windows CE environment. By doing so, you can then overwrite or modify the application in the internal storage. This is where the "Test Mode" comes in, "Test Mode" contains a set of specified programs you put onto the SD card so it'll interrupt the boot process in step 2.

If you successfully boot into "Test Mode", you can access to the Windows CE environment. Open "My Computer" and you will see "My Flash Drive" (this is the internal storage) and "Storage Card" (this is your SD card).

Some people may also confuse about power on versus sleep. Assume you wired up the unit correctly, when the power is cut (ignition off), the unit will go into "sleep" mode; the unit will then "wake up" when power is back on. During this sleep/wake up cycle, the unit will not invoke the boot process. By pressing the reset button at the back of the unit, you force the unit to reboot and go into the above boot process I mentioned. However, you can invoke the boot process by fully power down the unit (press and hold the power button for more than 5 sec when the unit is running) and power it back on (press and hold the power button for more than 5 sec again after power down).

Here're some helpful threads:

Test Mode

Install update. This thread talks about a specific update but the concept apply to other mods.

Wow, Phil, you have been SO helpful. I really can't thank you enough for the help thus far.

A few things :

1. I found testmode's application file (testmode.zip). Downloaded it and can easily follow these instructions

1 - unzip the contents of that attachment

2 - Put the two folders contained in that attachment on an SD card.

3 - Put the SD card in the F-series and turn it on

4 - Once it has finished the "copying" close the copying window by clicking the X

5 - You have now booted the unit to windows mode. Enjoy.

So I have the SD card with nothing but those testmode folders, put it in the unit, and start it. That will then put me into Windows CE where I can modify this. Am I right so far?

2. Assuming the above, I will now be in a Windows environment where I can modify things as needed. At this point, I go into the My Flash Drive (units hard drive) and will copy ALL of My Flash Drive onto Storage Card. So at this point, I have an SD card that is inserted with the testmode folders AND the entire contents of My Flash Drive.

3. I assume I then turn off the unit? After doing so, remove the SD card and bring it back to my computer. I insert it in the computer, and make a copy of the contents of the SD card (that way I can revert back to the original if needed). I go into the SD card copy, find this one file, make this small alteration (for speed) save as to the desktop, and then paste that one file in the sub-folder in which it is currently contained on the SD card...

4. At this point, I would then have a modified "My Flash" on the SD card along with the testmode folders. I then go back to the car, insert the card, turn off the unit (power it off) turn it back on, it boots into Windows CE (Because fo the test mode folders on the SD card) and i then go in and copy the contents of the modifeid "My Flash Drive" from the SD card onto the My Flash Drive (thus overwriting ALL "My flash drive" with that from the SD card). Or, should I simply copy/paste that one file that I am altering?

I found the below helpful but just want to make sure I do this 100% as a screw up will be massively catastrophic... will have to tear apart the dash :(

Windows CE works more or less like Windows as far as copying and pasting. The only caveat here is no keyboard, no mouse, just a stylus and I haven't figured out how to right click.

Navigate to the file you want to copy: Select the folder (tap it once) you want to open, tap the "File" menu, tap "Open"

Copy the file you want: Select the file (tap it once), tap the "Edit" menu, tap "Copy".

Navigate to the folder where you want to put it.

Tap "Edit", tap "Paste". If you're replacing something that's already there, you'll get a warning about replacing an existing file, just tap 'Replace' or 'Ok' or whatever it says.

Cheers!

You got most of the steps correct :)

After booted into "Test Mode", you can remove the SD when the unit still running. Here's what I normally do:

- Boot into "Test Mode".

- Copy all the contents from "My Flash Drive" to the SD and rename it as "Backup"

- Take the SD card out and put it into my computer and transfer the "Backup" to a safe place.

- Copy the modified files or the whole app folders (depends on what I mod) to the SD.

- Remove the SD from my computer and insert it back into the F500BT, all this time the unit is still running.

- Copy the new files or whole app folders from the SD card to "My Flash Drive"

- Take the SD out, then power off and power on the unit. You should see the new changes.

Copying and overwriting files are a pain under Windows CE without keyboard and mouse, but still doable. There is one trick, the "Test Mode" folder should contain a application called "CopyTool.exe", you should found it on the "Desktop" under Windows CE, this is a very handy tool for file transfer, give it a try.

Please remember that, even if you screws up the application files, you can simply revert back to original state by bringing back the "Backup".

After doing "backup" and putting it on my computer, would you suggest I:

1. Put the modified file into the SD card folder "backup" and then copy the entire "backup" to my flash drive

or

2. Put the modified file on the sd card and then paste ONLY THAT FILE into the corresponding folder within My Flash Drive

Option 1 I overwrite everything in My Flash Drive

Option 2 I overwrite only the one file in My Flash Drive

Hope this question makes sense.

If you only modified a few files, I would suggest just copy the files over. When I update the map files, I would copy the whole map directory because all the map files are new. I rarely overwrite the whole "My Flash Drive", the least you change, the smaller chance it would screw up and easier to correct if problem shows.

This brings me to two other questions which I have as I am customizing the unit :)

1. Can I change the button colors? Right now, they are like a hot white/blue color. Can I make them green to match the buttons in the truck?

2. How can I update the maps? I know I updated the whole unit by following the instructions online... also did the bluetooth update. What about the igo program? I have iGo Primo in my BMW and LOVE it. Is there any way to put Primo onto the F500?

PS I Can paypal you money for your time and help :)

For question 1, you may need to check out some of the skin/mod threads on the top of this section. I never change the skin.

For question 2, you can get the latest map here. The latest maps are dated 2010 Q2. Map files are store in APL2\iGo\CONTENT\MAP. Please beware that the new map files are bigger and I selectively install the one I needed. Map files can be run from the SD card but you need to edit a ini file which I forget the details. You can search the forum on it. AFAIK, no one successfully get iGo Primo running on F500 but I know you can run Garmin or TomTom. Those mods invoke quite a lot of changes and is pretty complicate if you want to tailor made it to your liking. The pinned threads on the top of this section talk about custom mods and someone with more knowledge may be able to help out.

I start out using F500 a few months ago and missed the golden days, F500 modification was very active up to a year ago and the forum is very active by then. Since Pioneer stopped any further development on F500 and people moved onto other unit, this section becomes very quiet... I try to help out as much as I can because I too experience the same situation as you when I begin to use F500.

BTW, Jason updated the Wiki and it's very useful. I dug up some of my old reading and come across a Russian mod that have iGo Primo support but no one speak Russian here to translate it. I suggest you try mod it bit by bit and see how far you can go, the knowledge is scattered in lots of threads and not orginized, you may need more time and patient :)