AVIC411.com

2008 Navigator Z130BT Help

Hello all,

I have a 2008 Navigator and I am looking at getting the Z130BT, especially since I see that they are no longer using MSN. Before I purchase I am going by the dealer to see if my truck qualifies for the SYNC kit since they make one for select '08 Navigators, but if I can't get the sync kit added I will get the Z130BT. No USB or bluetooth audio is killing me.

Ok let me give you the setup, right now everything is factory, it has the voice navigation THX system with the amp, sub, Rear Seat entertainment, sirius, and backup cam in the rear view mirror. I want to replace the factory head unit with the Z130BT and limit the functionality loss. I know I will need the PAC C2R-FRD1 for CAN-BUS, VSS, etc and the SWI-PS for the steering wheel controls but:

1. Don't I need some type of adapter for the factory AMP?

2. If I decide to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one is there some type of harness to ease the transition like the PAC AOEM-FRD24?

3. I noticed that all of the adapters that I look at only have 4 channels, but the truck has 9 speakers that I know of plus the sub.(The Lincoln website says 14 speakers, idk where????) (One in each door(4), Two in the front near the side rearview mirrors (2), one in the center (1), and two in the rear above the rear hatch (2), plus the sub). So how would the other five+ channels & sub be incorporated?

4. I also think I will need an Antenna adapter for the radio antenna and for the sirius, is this true?

5. I like the rear camera in the mirror but was wondering if I could also have it display on the radio at the same time? I may have to tap into some wires for that.

6. Will I be able to use lincoln's built in mic for voice commands on the Z130BT? It hears me alot better than the one on the Z110BT in my wifes car.

7. Will I lose my voice activation steering wheel control button?

8. Will the radio volume mute/lower when the backup sensors go off or is there something special needed for that?

Thanks in advance for all the help team.

Chris

Hello all,

I have a 2008 Navigator and I am looking at getting the Z130BT, especially since I see that they are no longer using MSN. Before I purchase I am going by the dealer to see if my truck qualifies for the SYNC kit since they make one for select '08 Navigators, but if I can't get the sync kit added I will get the Z130BT. No USB or bluetooth audio is killing me.

Ok let me give you the setup, right now everything is factory, it has the voice navigation THX system with the amp, sub, Rear Seat entertainment, sirius, and backup cam in the rear view mirror. I want to replace the factory head unit with the Z130BT and limit the functionality loss. I know I will need the PAC C2R-FRD1 for CAN-BUS, VSS, etc and the SWI-PS for the steering wheel controls but:

2. If I decide to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one is there some type of harness to ease the transition like the PAC AOEM-FRD24?

3. I noticed that all of the adapters that I look at only have 4 channels, but the truck has 9 speakers that I know of plus the sub.(The Lincoln website says 14 speakers, idk where????) (One in each door(4), Two in the front near the side rearview mirrors (2), one in the center (1), and two in the rear above the rear hatch (2), plus the sub). So how would the other five+ channels & sub be incorporated?

4. I also think I will need an Antenna adapter for the radio antenna and for the sirius, is this true?

5. I like the rear camera in the mirror but was wondering if I could also have it display on the radio at the same time? I may have to tap into some wires for that.

6. Will I be able to use lincoln's built in mic for voice commands on the Z130BT? It hears me alot better than the one on the Z110BT in my wifes car.

8. Will the radio volume mute/lower when the backup sensors go off or is there something special needed for that?

Chris

I cant answer all of your questions but ill try to answer as many as possible because i know the unit well but im not too familiar with the equipment in your car.

for steering wheel controls you do need the adapter.

4. I might be wrong on this one but i think you will need the whole sirrus set up. Your current sirrus radio stuff is only good on your current HU and you will need to get the adapter and antenna.

5. If you wanted your camara to dual display you would have to do some splicing of the wires.

6. You would also have to do some major splicing to use the mic thats built into your car and even with that it isnt going to work as good as it does for you now. In the avic z130 to my knowledge the bt issue has been resolved. No one is having the problems that they had with the z120 and z110.

7 You will lose functionality of steering wheel voice controls. The only steering wheel functions you can retain are mode switching (radio, ipod,sirrus, ect), volume, next track, previous track, and mute. There might be one or two that im missing but i know anything to do with navigation and VR or BT are no longer available.

8. Im not sure this will happen. I HIGHLY doubt it because that would require you integrating your back up sensors with the HU.

If you wanted to do some extreme modifications and splicing and rewiring you could get most of the stuff you want. I would not recommend this though.

All of the features you get from factory installations are integrated to work with everything the car currently has. When you use aftermarket equipment most of the factory integrated features dont work anymore because the factory equipment is built into that specific car. Where as the aftermarket equipment has to be compatible with most cars on the market. In doing that they cant make the units as integrated with all of those features because each car company does it in a different way and it would be too costly and no economical to try and build a unit that can retain all of the features.

I just had my unit installed last week and I love it. I cant find a thing wrong with it. That doesnt mean I wont though. So good luck with your install and hopefully this helps

Thanks for the info, I did plan on getting the sirius (CD-SB10), I just did not want to wire another antenna. I stillwonder how this amp thing is going to work out as well as connecting all the speakers. It's not a definate yet but we will see.

guitarguy308 - I got it, thanks for the advice but I got it. I'v been installing car stereos for about 14 years now, I installed my Z110BT, I only do it for myself and close friends/family and every year I hate it more. Although I've never dealt with a system as complex as the one in the navigator. Alot of my concerns was me just clearing my head of all my concerns when installing the system. Just trying to think outside the box as far as my options go. Like with the speakers although I still cannot find all 14 of them I'm sure they are being run by the factory amp, and the C2R-FRD1 should take care of that.

Basically I found out that if I upgrade to the Sync Kit I still would not have traffic so I've decided to go with the Z130BT. I should be able to swap out the system with a few harnesses and get everything up and running and if what V-Blue has said is true (I need to read the manual) then my only concern is using the already wired Sirius antenna. Hopefully there is an adapter, but I know I will be able to keep the RSE. Oh and my play project to splice into the rearview camera feed so it will show on the radio as well as the rearview mirror.

Thanks for all the support team I'll let you know how it goes.

How do the 3D maps look/work? I hate that on the Z110 it's only at a certain zoom level because the zoom level I like does not allow 3D maps. LOL I guess I should read the manual....... :wink:

Hello all,

Chris

Chris,

I am an Engineer for PAC and designed the C2R-FRD1. I recently started trolling these forums because I recently got my hands on the Z130BT.

Answers to your questions:

1. The C2R-FRD1 will turn on and control the THXII amp. The only functionality you will loose is fade as the amplifier only has a two channel input. When equipped with RSE the rear speakers will still mute when the RSE is being used in Dual Play mode.

2. Not sure on the harness to bypass the amp, but I don't think we make one.

3. Like said the C2R-FRD1 controls the THXII amp and puts it in surround mode with your two channel stereo source from the aftermarket radio, just like the OE head unit, which only feeds the amp two channels.

4. You will need an antenna adapter, not sure on the part number but they are readily available. Not sure of you can use the factory Sat antenna for Sirius, I have never tried.

5. You will have to tap into the video feed going into the rear view camera. Then use the reverse trigger output from the C2R to make the Z look for the reverse camera input.

6. Not sure, never tried.

7. For now yes you will not be able to use it, but we will have an interface on the market soon that allows the extra steering wheel control buttons to be programmed. I can't say too mush but it should be available sometime later this year.

8. The aftermarket radio will not lower when the reverse sensors are going off.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary - Thanks for all the help

I am surprised you say the amp has only 2 channels because of the 14 speakers. From what I have been reading it has 2 amps, 1 for the sub which is built into the sub and one under the radio. But considering the system has 14 speakers something has to power them.

I have been searching for photos of the OEM amps trying to find a pic of one so I could possibly look at the connections to figure this out. I may just goto the dealer and see if they'll let me look at one.

For question 2, what is the PAC AOEM-FRD24 for?

Chris