AVIC411.com

POIfriend and AVIC-U220

OK, so I have the Pioneer AVH-P5200BT and AVIC-U220 and even with the FREE POI Upgrade from Pioneer, which Worked and all, the POIs are still kinda a Joke on this Unit, what I mean is, you can't Search for lets say, a WalMart, because the Unit says that there aren't any and it's Showing my nearest Target Store or Home Depot as being 30 Miles away, with the same Location and Phone # and all, so am I missing something here?????

I did however, manage to make my own 3 POIs using AVIC Feeds and Google Maps, they are Places I will be going to this Summer for Auto Shows and whatnot, two are Motels I'll be Staying at and one is a Camp Ground and they worked out PERFECT, but when I went to POIfriend, which I found through AVIC Feeds, I Downloaded a bunch of Locations for Stores like WalMart and Barnes & Noble and Dunkin' Donuts, you know, the Downloads that Show you were they are all over the US and Canada, but here's the Problem, I checked Today and they are there in my Unit, all of them, but I can't Search for them like you would any other POI, basically, you have to go through the List of ALL of them, you can't even narrow them down, not that I can see, so what do I do, is there a way to Load them into where all the other POIs I Downloaded from Pioneer are or what, anyone have any Ideas?????

I know one Problem is, that these are the same Maps as a TomTom, which is HORRIBLE, in fact, I use to have a TomTom and it got me Lost more then anything, Heck, it even told me to Drive down Stairs in a City once, some of my Friends have had TomToms as well and feel the same way, they will only Buy Garmins now, which is what I had, I had the 265WT and LOVED it, but my Car was Broken into and it along with everything else, was Stolen, so I Bought this Setup here with the $2,000 I got from my Auto Insurance, well this and other Toys, lol and although I LOVE the Pioneer DVD Unit itself and like how the GPS has more Features then my Garmin, I dunno, I mean, it's like you can't Search for anything with this Unit, not unless you have the EXACT Address or something, so I end up using my Android Phones GPS and Plugging it into my Pioneer for Directions, so if anyone has any Ideas or anything, PLEASE let me know ASAP, as I'm going to have to Drive outta State and other Places next Month here and need to be sure I won't get Lost or anything, which I never did with my Garmin, so Good Night and Thanks in Advance!!!!!!!! :D

James C.

BTW, the GPS in this Unit is Showing my Nearest Shopping Center as being Greengate Mall, which is a Mall that Closed down MANY YEARS ago!!!!!!!! :huh:

As posted on this forum many times the navi in these units is horrible and you have found just one of many issues with the navi. The answer to your question is no however, you cant search the custom POIs in the same way you can the internal database. You can only select them for the list.

As posted on this forum many times the navi in these units is horrible and you have found just one of many issues with the navi. The answer to your question is no however, you cant search the custom POIs in the same way you can the internal database. You can only select them from the list.

I stayed up ALL Night Playing with my SD Card and AVIC-U220, it took A LOT of Work, LOTS of Work to figure this out, but I can say, that NOW, I myself am able to Search for my Custom POIs EXACTLY the same as you would the POIs from Pioneer, they ALL Show up if I do an actual Search for them like I would any other Pioneer POI, you do have to be careful with the Spelling, you need to Spell the Business Names the same as you Downloaded them, otherwise they won't Show up, but yeah, basically ALL of my Custom POIs are now in the same List as the Downloaded Pioneer POIs and mine Show the Store Phone #'s and EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! :D

In fact, I Called Pioneer Today to tell them about it and how I did it all, they Talked to me for a while and took down Detailed Notes about it all, they even told me that they were gonna Call and email me back after they try it out for themselves, they said they may need to have me go through the whole Process again, just so they can be sure they got it right and if it Works for them as it did for me, they are not only gonna release Info about it for all, but they are gonna send me some kind of Prize, because as they told me, if this really Works, it's a HUGE Deal to them, as they get Calls about Custom POIs and how the Units don't have enough and so on to begin with, so needless to say, they were Happy to get this Call from me and after I Post here, I'm gonna Experiment with Custom POIs from POIfriend a bit more... ;)