AVIC411.com

App Mode on 3300BT with iPhone 4?

I just got my AVH-P3300BT installed in my new Edge and I picked up the CD-IU50V cable to connect up my iphone. I purchased the 'Pioneer' branded cable, to eliminate any chance of conflicts with a poorly constructed cable, but so far, I see no benefits from this cable versus the standard iPod dock cable.

Pandora Control/Playback works fine with both cables, I can control the Pandora App, listen, see artwork... All with either the standard Apple Cable, or the CD-IU50V

When I choose the 'Ipod/Usb' source, I can connect up to the iPhone 4 (recognizes it) and browse music/play music with both of the cables.

However the much touted 'App Mode' button is not responsive with EITHER cable. I can't seem to get netflix or youtube to play with both video and audio. Curiously enough, if I enable my AUX input, I can see the video from both of the apps (and handful of others), but I can't HEAR anything.

Does anyone know what's up? Perhaps the IOS version I'm running isn't supported... 4.3.1 is currently installed.

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

I suppose I'll just reply to this myself, as I seemed to have figured it out.

I loaded music onto my iphone4 (previously, I had no ipod music loaded). Once I did this at my computer, I reconnected the iphone4 to the AVH-P3300BT and it worked perfectly.

Simply Plugged it in, the source moves to 'iPod' -- Then choose the 'App Mode' button that I had clicked about 50 times before and boom, it switched right over, gave me the 'warning' message and let me click through. Netflix, Youtube working perfectly.

In short, if you're having trouble, try loading up some music through itunes and see if that improves the situation.

Hope that helps someone!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suppose I'll just reply to this myself, as I seemed to have figured it out.

I loaded music onto my iphone4 (previously, I had no ipod music loaded). Once I did this at my computer, I reconnected the iphone4 to the AVH-P3300BT and it worked perfectly.

Simply Plugged it in, the source moves to 'iPod' -- Then choose the 'App Mode' button that I had clicked about 50 times before and boom, it switched right over, gave me the 'warning' message and let me click through. Netflix, Youtube working perfectly.

In short, if you're having trouble, try loading up some music through itunes and see if that improves the situation.

Hope that helps someone!

You sir,

are amazing! I was about to go to Best Buy to buy a new cable because I have TRIED everything to fix this exact problem on my 4300

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

FYI, I confirmed this fix works on another buddies AVH-3300BT as well.

You MUST have a song or album loaded onto your phone through iTunes before app mode will work. No idea why.

I use MediaMonkey to manage my music instead of iTunes. Is there a way to load something from iTunes without sync'ing to my iTunes library (thereby losing all the music I've already loaded with MediaMonkey)? Or do you think it doesn't matter? ... I have music on my phone, just not from iTunes.