AVIC411.com

NEWBIE - Monitors stay on

Hi some help to confirm if have set up system correctly would be appreciated.

Have F930BT with monitors in the rear. When I insert the ignition key it powers the unit but only temporary until I turn the ignition at which point it boots up. My question is is this going to damage the system?

Also when on the back screens are permanently on. Should this only come on when I am running a signal i terms of picture to it and any other time they are off?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

first off, what kind of car is it? it is not normal for the radio to do anything from just inserting the key into the cylinder, it should only turn on while the key is either in the accessory or ignition positions.

few monitors have signal sensing auto on/off modes, most have to be turned on when you want to use them and off when you are done with them. they could(and should) be wired to only come on when the key is on.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have the same issue. I turn the ignition on, and my radio starts to boot up. I have a diesel so in winter I must stay on ignition for 5 seconds to hot plug warm up. When I turn the engine on and the power goes to starter the all electricity in the car goes off for a second or two....... so the F930BT boot up procedure is interrupted and starts from the beginning when the engine starts.

I think this is normal in VW group cars this is how the installation is done. And especially diesel engines need really high power to start.

this is how it has to work in your car, the avic should be fine, however this could up the percentage of your unit getting a corupt file.

there have been a couple of ways to get around this,

one was to creat a device that would keep the unit powered up for a few seconds after power is lost from the acc being dropped during cranking. it would only need to stay powered for a second or two longer than what it would take at the longest for the motor to crank and start. i dont think that this is a good ideal, durring cranking, the voltage is much lower than normal, i think that this is far more dangerious to the system.

i would use a pulse timer decive to keep the unit from booting for a while after the power comes on (5-10 seconds) this would add of course to the boot time but would keep the device from being interupted during boot up and would also not let the unit continue to boot up while the voltage has dropped durring engine cranking.

most people dont do anything about it, its just part of owing a diesel. and pioneer would just be a big bunch of idiots if they didnt think about that (but then again, there always seems to be a bunch of stuff they do that just doen't make sence)