AVIC411.com

Recurring volume dips after Auto EQ

Hello, everyone... I've been lurking here for about a month (thanks to all for many great tips!), and just had a Z130BT installed in my 2006 4Runner. Using the PAC-TATO to interface with the stock JBL amplifier. Everything seems to be working well with the unit, but after reading several posts discussing the improved audio quality after using Auto EQ, I found the CD-MC20 microphone in stock on Amazon and went through the process yesterday to the letter.

My first thought was "WOW" - it made a huge difference, and I loved the way things sounded with Auto EQ on and "Powerful" selected. After listening for a few minutes, I started noticing slight drops in volume that last for about one second, then the volume returns to normal. The issue reoccurs about once per 30 seconds, which is enough to be annoying.

The issue is prevalent regardless of the source - I've experienced the same results with music from HD Radio, a regular CD and my iPod. I've also experimented with other settings such as Subwoofer on/off or at different frequencies, HPF at various settings and off, and the issue persists. I thought perhaps the combination of Auto EQ and "Powerful" might be pushing the amp, so I tried Auto EQ and "flat" as well as "natural", and the issue is still there.

The only way to prevent it is to turn Auto EQ off. I've tried my best to replicate the sound using "Custom1" EQ, but can't get it quite dialed in.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions for potential troubleshooting steps? I do plan to re-run Auto EQ today, but wanted to check in here first...I did search the forum and was unable to find the same issue.

Thanks!

Jason

• 1 month later...

UGH!! Since you and I have similiar setups, I am hoping maybe you wouldn't mind comparing notes. I just put a z130BT in my '04 4Runner Limited (w/ JBL Synthesis). I used the Scosche TA07SR to adapt the system to the JBL sub. I actaully have a few problems with this setup. These aren't related to the Pioneer so much as the way the JBL adapter(s) work. Or quite possibly, my problem is totally different than yours.

I have a post-navigation "bump" in sound after she stops talking and the music restarts.

Anything below 12 or so on volume fades out all the rear speakers. (Except on USB Audio for some reason as it seems to playback louder than XM/FM/USB Video).

Here is what I found through trial and error. Since you have a "the other" JBL adapter, yours might work better/worse or have different issues. If yours doesn't have these issues, I probably bought the wrong one.

When I was installing the unit I thought I had wired something incorrectly as the rear and sub wouldn't work at all. Since I was doing the install late at night, I didn't want to turn the sound up too loud to wake the neighbors. I thought maybe it had something to do with the surround sound processor that is in the JBL AMP (yes, its in the AMP, not the headunit, but the setup for the surround on/off is done on the headunit). When I would switch back to the factory radio, I noticed that the fader was moved all the way forward. I would reset it back, swap the HUs and sure enough, the Scosche JBL adapter was moving it to the front again. After getting frustrated, I went to bed, got up the next morning, went for a drive and everything worked fine. You know, cause it was during the day and I could turn it up above 10. Turns out, that is just the way it works. (or maybe that is the way the Scosche one works). The annoying side effect is that when there is no sound being played back, the output gets faded to the front speakers. Which in turn causes the JBL amp to increase the sound and hence the sound comes blaring out for 1/2 second until the adapter then fades it back to to balance it out. So when "TLITB" (the lady in the box) starts giving me directions and interupts whatever is playing, the silence between her finishing and the music resuming makes the Scosche adapter think it needs to fade forward and increase output.

Only way I've found to fight this is to not have it mute the music completely when giving directions. I just have her talk "louder" over the music. Only issue with this is that for some reason now my unit is not muting the music during BT phone calls. And of course the volume controls on the steering wheel seem locked out during the call so unless I remember to turn it down before answering it, I and my caller are stuck listening to whatever Abba song happens to be playing at that particular moment.

I haven't tried the Auto-EQ yet, but I fear that the fading issue would complicate it and just make it worse. Are you dips in sound consistent (like at the same point in the song every time?) or does it "appear" random? Is it better or worse at higher or lower volumes?