AVIC411.com

advice on the 130

I have a F90bt now and I want to find the design team and beat every one of them. Is the 130 that much better? I'm willing to look outside of Pioneer if anybody can suggest a more reliable alternative (and a company that is more responsive), but if the 130 can resolve (most of) the main issues below then I'll move to a new Pioneer unit.

Some of my 90bt gripes.

1) Boot time. My d3 is ready in 10 seconds. This turd takes forever (yes it's updated)

2) Get or make a call and the screen goes to the map. WHY???????????

3) If you are on a call and need to leave the car, the call disconnects. I had an older Kenwood that just transferred the call back to the phones control. People never even knew I left the car.

4) overall speed of the system......CRAP

5) random lockups. This morning the screen decided not to respond until I shut off my car and restarted it.

6) HOW old are the maps?????

7) when on a call, the ipod music keeps going, so when I hang up I'm 3 songs down the line from when the call came in. How about auto pause????

The rest of my complaints are more nit-pick and common sense stuff. The above are the major ones........ok I'll list one common sense one.

When playing from iPod and the artist/track/song is listed, I should be able to touch the category and have the list come up, so if Man in the Box is playing by AIC, I should be able to touch the AIC listing on the screen and see everything by them or if I touch Man in the Box I should see the track listing for Facelift. Just my .02 on that one...............

Any suggestions/opinions?

I had an F90BT as well, before it died. All of your complaints about it are valid and standard for everyone that owned one. While the Z130 has its flaws, it is a better overall unit.... except the maps/navigation. If you use navigation a lot, stay away from the Z130 unless you will be using it with an iPhone or iPad with the recommended Pioneer cable. The navi on the F90BT is a billion times better than the Z. I bought a Z after my F died and I don't regret it. If there is another unit out there that is better, and there might be, I just don't know what it is. Might want to wait until CES 2012.

Wow, what makes the nav so horrible?

It just sucks!!! Seriously it is the worst aftermarket in-dash navi software on the market. Its really hard to convey to anyone that hasn't compared it to the navi of the F series but if you are familiar with the navi on the F series you would instantly understand what we mean about the piss poor navi software on the Z/X series. Honestly though, all aftermarket navi head units have issues they shouldn't have on a released unit and all their perspective design teams should all have their asses kicked! Ive owned all these units and say this from personal experience. I did not gain true satisfaction until I said the hell with head units and went full iPad install.

VBLUE is spot on with his assessment. The Z series navi looks and functions like it was a first gen navi from 1998. There are numerous complaints about it all over the forum. The best thing about the Z130 though, is you can plug an iPhone or iPad into it and use Google maps or a number of other 3rd party app maps and mirror it to the unit. I don't use my navi that much so I still think the Z series is better than the F. When my F was working, it was great. The problem was, it was always laggy, crashing and locking up. Like VBLUE said, I think installing a 3g iPad or 7" Android tablet, depending on how big your dashboard is, could be the ultimate solution if you have a decent data plan. Some of the tablet installs on Youtube are amazing. I've been seriously considering going that route myself, but if I had a working stereo and wanted to stick with a conventional unit but just wanted a new one, I would probably wait and see what the manufacturers are going to release next year. The Z series overall is better than the F. Its just the navi that is worse.

The navi in the Kenwoods is far superior to anything else on the market especially with what Pioneer is currently offering. The problem with the Kenwood units is the slow laggy UI and the unstable at times iPod interface. Pioneer units on the other hand have the best iPod interface control of any head unit currently available. Seriously though, compare the overall cost of a tablet install with that of a 2 din head unit and it is close to even. Unless you have to have a CD/DVD slot or FM radio a tablet is much better. Also I don't pay any data plan for my setup sense I wirelessly tether my iPhone to my iPad.

I have red the kenwood cannot use the sd card for multimedia which sucks, i have the 120bt and thinking of getting the 130bt for other car new Toyota Sienna. I dont have a problem with my Nav on my 120bt. sometimes i cannot find what im looking for by my cell can give me the address and i'll plug in the address and im good to go. i do not like the video conversion nightmare on the sd card, i wish i can just drag and drop my divx files to sd card. But im happy with my z120bt. my bluetooth is also fine sometimes it acts up but 90% of the time it works good