AVIC411.com

Z130BT install in '01 Ford Super Duty

I started this on a Ford Diesel site yesterday and figured I'd post here today.. so here's yesterday's post

For Christmas, I'm getting a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT Nav Unit and Boyo VTL-422C backup camera.

I was able to intercept the delivery before my wife and sneak out the Scosche FD16b harness adapter and the harness from the AVIC befire it found its way wrapped and under the tree.

Last night I connected the 2 harnesses together.. soldered and shrink wrapped.

PC230755.jpg

Today, I Pulled out the old CD-6 Radio with PIE adapter for RCA inputs on the CD Changer circuit (I had it first for an XM Radio and more recently my iPhone). Then tapped into the gray/black wire in the passenger side Kick panel for the VSS connection (the taped off wire is where I disabled the dimmer on the Lie-O-Meter years ago).

PC240756.jpg

Next I needed to tap into the Reverse Lights.. it should be a Black./Pink wire that's hot only when shifted to reverse, but I found other Black/Pink wires under the dash that were hot when both in and not in reverse. I finally found this thread and ran the wire under the brake master cylinder.

http://www.thediesel...4250-post9.html

PC240761.jpg

Then I put all the interior panels back in place and now I wait... Hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow to finish up.

PC240763.jpg

I needed to do a bit of trimming around the head unit opening in the factory dash bezel. A Dremel made quick work of that. Right now I have it mounted in the dash bezel with a Scosche FD1330B trim kit. The dash Bezel was set in place and I was able to boot up the head unit and test that it starts up and tuned in a station.

PC250767.jpg

PC250765.jpg

PC250764.jpg

I didn't get much done today... spent it mostly with my family. Tomorrow, I need to wire in and hook up the Back Up Camera, Traffic Receiver, GPS antenna and microphone. I also need to figure out how to secure the rear part of the head unit to the factory brackets in the truck... there's no hole in the unit to mount the plate that grabs the rail in the rear center of the factory unit. then button it up, clean everything and enjoy.

It's Done!

Today, I wired up the backup camera

PC260769-1.jpg

Hooked the mic to the back side of the overhead console.. if it works out there, I'll double side tape it there.

The GPS antenna got mounted to the metal sheet that got stuck to the HVAC tubing under the dash... Initial reading are good here.

the traffic receiver got zipped tied to a bracket behind the head unit in the dash.

As for my concern about not having a place to mount the rear bracket that it slides in and out on... it's so tight on the sides of the HU, that it's not going anywhere. I did take an old mousepad that I cut up and zipped tied to the underside rail/bracket to keep the metal on the HU from contacting the metal and make sure it didn't vibrate.

I buttoned it all up and this is what it looks like...

PC260772.jpg

Day mode

PC260774.jpg

Night Mode with the head lights turned on

PC260776.jpg

My cool splash screen that I got from the Avic411 splash screens section.

PC260780.jpg

I didn't like the iPod cables getting run to the glove box in the dash, so I took out the center console and ran a fish tape under the carpet and pulled the cables back to the center console.

Then I drilled a hole in the bottom of the console to route the cables in and then covered up the bottom with the rubber mat that goes in the console.

PC260770.jpg

PC260771.jpg

Works great! The PB bypass is great.. video and nav functions on the go... I hat the 2 factory nav systems we have in a Ford Edge and a Mazda3 that limit you to really not being able to use the nave systems while rolling.

The HU sounds so much better with my cheap Sony speakers than the factory CD6 HU did.

Now I just need to figure out all the bells and whistles on this thing!