AVIC411.com

Downloaded East and West 60M 2006 - have problems.

Hi, Recently completed the download of the update disk (60M) for 2006 Maps from the areas indicated here using Torrent. As well as another source... they appear to have the same problem... when I open the east MDF file (9K) in Alchohol 120% there is no header description of the contents and the MDF file appears to be zero K. With the West files, you get a description and while I attempt to burn it, somewhere near the end it seems corrupted.

Has anyone had similar problems? I can't seem to find a working east disk... anyone know where I can get a regular ISO version or a nero nri file? Are they all Alchohol files out there?

Thanks.

OK folks, there really are no problems here. But I thought I'd share my "experiences" with other in case they have the same problems. Well, actually I did have a few problems, but I think I know what it is. I need to do a search of the forums and see what I can find. Anyway....

I was able to create a disk. I used winrar to extract the MDS & MDF file. In the advance I set the "set security" uncheck and the "clear attributes" to check.

That seems to fix the problem. PowerISO and Alcohol could then read the MDF file and report on it's characteristics. With Poweriso I could see the file structure and so on.

For some reason I couldn't create a disc (burn) with poseriso, but I suspect that's my computer and not the program. Anyway, I was able to successfully create a East Disk with Alcohol 120%. Took about 1.5 hours!

I used FujiFilm DVD+R DL disks (I'll get to this)...

I put the disk in the Avic-D1 and at first it would be recognize it, it kept saying "insert appropriate disk"... THEN when I was about to remove it. Is recognized it and started doing the update.

BTW... there was a 1/1 at the bottom right hand corner. I read somewhere here that that is wrong and it should be 1/2... anyway. I let it continue.

Once complete it took much longer to reboot. The startup screen seemed to be there twice as usual. Once started, it appeared that the maps did change. BUT I lost the little icons... ie. + and - magnifying glass on the zoom buttons. There are other icons missing on the maps.

Anyway, I messed with it for a few minutes and decided to leave it... it's about 11:00 pm now....

Anyway, found the downgrade instructions and did the downgrade. Was pretty easy and took me about 3 mins. I couldn't do the last step which was "clear memory". I could get back to the test Screen (where's that BACK button?).

So I thought, ok... I'll reboot and go back to the test screen and clear memory from there. Anyway, it turned out I didn't have to. Everything came up just fine. I had downgraded successfully.

Here are a few things I noticed along the way.

1 - while in the updated version, the second time I started the system. The map screen pixelated the upper have of the maps. Now I'm in Ontario, it was REAL cold last night... keep this in mind. It's part of my conclusions.

2 - when I was downgrading... the GPS write was from 2.0 ---> 2.0. I think this was saying that the upgrade didn't change the GPS software.

3 - when I was downgrading the Application software it said 3.0 ---> 2.0 So I looks like only the application software is upgraded when it works.

Conclusion: I think I need to buy better DVD +R DL... or should I get -R? I'll do a search for what works for others. I saw mention Memorex.

Also, I wonder is the cold effects the disks I used. Because the missing icon would indicate that the D1 couldn't read the JPG file for these on the disk and it ignored it, and the pixelated map would also mean the map was corrupted during the read. They were fine the first time I started it.

Anyway, that's it. Any comments are welcome.

OK... here's an update after my search (sorry if this is old news)

It looks like Verbatum and Memorex are the DVDs of choice here. Stil lnot sure if I should use DVD-R DL, but that seems to be more backwards compatible.

If anyone has a D1 and burnt their own disks (backup or otherwise), let me know what disk you use.

Thanks.