AVIC411.com

Help!! Very dark screen Backlight not working

Hello everyone,

I have the avic-d2 installed in my 05 Frontier. This past weekend i bought a new optima red top battery for my truck. When i went to install the new battery, the truck would not start. So i decided to boost the battery while still installed in the truck. Now i am aware that i use a grounding source other than the neg bat terminal as damage can occur. So i used a grounding bracket that was connected to the engine. I boosted it with a battery charger that has the option for boosting. Ok so i tried that and still battery didn't work. So i gave up and re-installed the orignal battery. Truck started up fine, but i noticed my avic-d2 screen was dark, as if it was off. So i went to reset it thinking the brightness went down. Nothing. I can see the screen is on because i can see the nav map, it just very very dark. And i can't adjust it any brighter. Do yo think i burned out the backlight? All i was doing was changing the battery! Come on this couldn't have damaged my navi. Any ideas is greatly appreciated. Also if i need to have it service, how long do you think i would be out for?

Thanks again and sorry for such a long post. I am desperatly trying to find out what to do..

Jon

Ya that is what i was afraid of. All i was trying to do was change out a battery. Thats kind of scary knowing that a simple battery change can cause that. They must be very delicate to allow something like this to happen. You would think a fuse would have gone first. Its got me thinking on how sturdy this unit is..

Well, just called Pioneer. They confirmed it. The unit needs to be sent in for repair. They said it sounds like the flourescent transducer went out or there is a problem with the ribbon cable. Man, that sucks. Oh well, time to send it in. The worst part is that i bought off of ebay, and its not warrantable. So its coming out of my pocket!! Damn Optima Battery. I am sending it back and getting a good old Duralast or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i am officially stoked. Got my avic-d2 back from Pioneer today. Didn't even expect it. Per Pioneer, they said that a fuse within the unit blew. I guess this fuse protects the backlight. Not sure, but they just replaced it and sent it back. Can't wait to put it back in. I need my GPS. I never realized how much i relied on it. Thanks to all who gave me their input during my desperate time of need. :D

Jon