AVIC411.com

ran into problems 1 year after install

Hey everyone i have been having a lot of problems with my car and after researching all types of car forums and going to my mechanic and dealerships to try to get this problem fixed, i figured its time to ask around here.

I drive a 2006 trailblazer SS. Came with factory Bose speakers, and amplifier, navigation, onstar. I replaced all speakers and radio. I have the Z130bt, using axxes GMOS-04. I also have 3 kicker amplifiers in my car, 3 subwoofers, 3 sets of alpine speakers, avital remote start.

So everything worked perfect for over a year. The other day i disconnected my battery to take the battery cover off. After hooking the battery back up i notice that the radio is on... no key in the igniton, car is not on but radio it. So i turn my car on and off to get it to shut off, it doesnt. I try everything to get the radio to shut off and it just wont. Unhooked the battery and connect positive and negative terminals to ground out the car, that didnt do it. eventually i pulled the fuse and went to school.n my way to school i went to lower my rear windows and they wouldnt go down... everything else on the door worked except the rear windows. About 8 hours later after class im driving home and now NOTHING on my drivers side door works. cant put down any windows, heated seats, mirrors, nothing works completly dead.

So i do a lot of researcxh and find out that the GMOS-04 module is pretty crappy and has a tendency to blow/die/crap out. I take my car to the audio place i got it installed at. And they reran the power wire to the headunit, so it now works. The radio turns on when i turn the car on, and shuts off as soon as i turn the car off. Previously before this problem it used to not shut off until i opened the drivers side door.

Then i bring my car to chevy for them to try and fix the door problem. They told me the switch in the door is bad and it will cost 433$ plus tax to fix. So i did not have 500$ to drop on it so i took my car back. i did a little experiment and took the "bad switch" and put it into the passenger side door, and tryed to lower the windows.... it worked. Everything worked from the drivers side switch when it is installed in the passenger door. So then i try the passenger switch module in the drivers door. It doesnt work.

So something is wrong with the door. I checked the power wires to the door and they all have power, and all the grounds are properly grounded. I traced all the wires from the door to the harness in the door jam, and then back to the Body control module, theyre all in tact, no breaks or corrosion. But the door still does not work?

i also checked every fuse in the car, in both fuse panels. I have no check engine lights. i disconnected the fuse for the radio and for unstar and tried the windows and they still dont work. I also unhooked the GMOS-04 completly and tryed the windows, still no luck.

So my question is does the Z130 or GMOS-04 somehow hook up to the drivers side door? Could that be whats causing the problem? Do i have to put my stock radio back in, should i just replace the GMOS-04. Anyone have any ideas? I know nothing about how radios are hooked up and know nothing about on star.

any help is greatly appreciated! if anyone can help me fix this problem i would be forever grateful this truck is my baby!!! lol Thanks in advance everyone.

Kevin

The radio is in no way connected to the door but the GMOS might be and that is where I would look. Also this thread really has little to do with this forum or the 130 and should be relocated out of this section. Please move it to the "Off Topic" section.

The radio is in no way connected to the door but the GMOS might be and that is where I would look. Also this thread really has little to do with this forum or the 130 and should be relocated out of this section. Please move it to the "Off Topic" section.

Well i figured the problem started with the radio, and that problem was never fixed they simply put a band aid over it. So if someone could explain that problem or give me a solution to the radio problem it might help me with my other problem. i was simply trying to provide as much information as possible to help diagnose the problem. Also if it has to do with the GMOS it would have to do with this forum no? Because all avic radios hooked up to a gm car use gmos right?

and in the end my real question was if the Avic z130 is hooked up to the drivers side door. To me that sounds like something that has to do with this forum.

sorry if i upset you by posting here, ill try and move the thread or does a mod need to do it.

Since it's a 2006 TB SS it's probably not the GMOS4.

The TBSS is a GM Class 2 Data Bus System, and unlike GM's newer systems (GMLAN/Global A) the vehicles "network" isn't daisy chained. This means if you unhook a module all other modules should still work. So if you unplugged the GMOS4 and the problem still existed it doesn't have to do with the cars computer network. I'd check for a pinched wire in the door or the connector from door to car. It sounds like something isn't getting the required power.

BTW your radio is now connected to an "ignition" source which bypasses the RAP (retained accessory power). This is why your radio now shuts off when you leave the "run" position on the ignition and not when you open the door. You can only get a RAP signal from the GMOS4 or another type of module (use the PAC one I have in my sig for my Corvette, the Corvette is the same Class 2 system as the TBSS).

Which switches did you move? The window bank shouldn't work on the passenger side since the driver has 4 window controls and the passenger only the one. Heated seats and locks might be ambidextrous.

Since it's a 2006 TB SS it's probably not the GMOS4.

The TBSS is a GM Class 2 Data Bus System, and unlike GM's newer systems (GMLAN/Global A) the vehicles "network" isn't daisy chained. This means if you unhook a module all other modules should still work. So if you unplugged the GMOS4 and the problem still existed it doesn't have to do with the cars computer network. I'd check for a pinched wire in the door or the connector from door to car. It sounds like something isn't getting the required power.

BTW your radio is now connected to an "ignition" source which bypasses the RAP (retained accessory power). This is why your radio now shuts off when you leave the "run" position on the ignition and not when you open the door. You can only get a RAP signal from the GMOS4 or another type of module (use the PAC one I have in my sig for my Corvette, the Corvette is the same Class 2 system as the TBSS).

Which switches did you move? The window bank shouldn't work on the passenger side since the driver has 4 window controls and the passenger only the one. Heated seats and locks might be ambidextrous.

Thanks for the info. It is the GMOS-04 though, ive pulled the radio out and looked at the module it says right on it GMOS-04. I heard the 2007 and 2008 need something different, im guessing thats the gmlan your talking about. I bought a new switch from a junkyard and tried that in the drivers door , that didnt work either. I ordered a new gmos-04 online so ill see how that works out. As for now i guess ill try again searching for pinched wires. Now that i think about it, i did open and close(slam) the door shut a bunch of times when the radio first started giving me problems. i was assuming it wouldnt shut off because the car wasnt registering the dfoor was shut.

Thanks for the input! ill work on it some more and update if anything works.

Thanks for the info. It is the GMOS-04 though, ive pulled the radio out and looked at the module it says right on it GMOS-04. I heard the 2007 and 2008 need something different, im guessing thats the gmlan your talking about. I bought a new switch from a junkyard and tried that in the drivers door , that didnt work either. I ordered a new gmos-04 online so ill see how that works out. As for now i guess ill try again searching for pinched wires. Now that i think about it, i did open and close(slam) the door shut a bunch of times when the radio first started giving me problems. i was assuming it wouldnt shut off because the car wasnt registering the dfoor was shut.

Thanks for the input! ill work on it some more and update if anything works.

All TBSS's are the Class 2 system. Installers who use Metra recommend the GMOS-100 for the newer cars, I don't know why. PAC has the same unit for all Class 2 units up until 2010 (the only Class 2 car in 2011 is the Corvette). The PAC OS-2C-BOSE.

See the latest Metra install for the years http://www.metraonli...GMOS-04_web.pdf (notice it says TB thru 2009).

Dont quote me on this but I think I remember seeing post on this forum or the other one I mod about the Metra modules being very problematic with something like a 50% failure rate or something close to it.

Dont quote me on this but I think I remember seeing post on this forum or the other one I mod about the Metra modules being very problematic with something like a 50% failure rate or something close to it.

^^ i quoted you on it =P

lol thanks for the info guys. Yeah for some reason i had a feeling the gmos crapped out.