AVIC411.com

Avic z140bh nav screen issues

I've just recently had the z140 professionally installed in my '08 Acadia. Having a few issues and wondering if anyone else has experienced them.

1. Sound will blow your ears out past the 9 volume setting on sound. Not sure if they hooked something up wrong. I have the Bose system in my car and it has an amp I've been told. It's annoying to only have 2-8 volume adjustment.

2. My old windshield mount gps Tom Tom has a smoother nav screen. The screen doesn't scroll smoothly as you drive but makes small jumps. Is this because the system is still learning? I've only driven maybe 30 miles since the install.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

2. My old windshield mount gps Tom Tom has a smoother nav screen. The screen doesn't scroll smoothly as you drive but makes small jumps. Is this because the system is still learning? I've only driven maybe 30 miles since the install.

No. Its because thats the best you get with these units. And you will need to put around 1K miles or more for the unit to finish the learning process.

I've just recently had the z140 professionally installed in my '08 Acadia. Having a few issues and wondering if anyone else has experienced them.

1. Sound will blow your ears out past the 9 volume setting on sound. Not sure if they hooked something up wrong. I have the Bose system in my car and it has an amp I've been told. It's annoying to only have 2-8 volume adjustment.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

They probably amped up the volume on whatever kit they used to interface with the car. Both the PAC and Metra kits have volume control.

What do you mean by amped up the volume? I think the kit they used was called axxist or something.

That's the Metra kit. It has a small screw on it for volume control. This way the Metra kit "amps" the volume before sending it to the cars amp and speakers. You need to adjust that screw to a lower volume so that the Metra provides less gain to the volume. Then you will get "normal" volume control on the radio.

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to check it out and find that screw. I thought the only screw was to adjust the volume of the chimes though.

I went from the AVIC-X940 to the AVIC-Z140 and found my system was WAY too loud. Then I read the specs between the two units and saw that the Z140 RCA's put out 4V versus the X940 2V and I think that was the difference. So I had to turn down each channel on my Amps by about 50%. I am a real novice on these car stereos, but I assume that is why the volume went WAY up on mine when just swapping the head unit.

I am not sure if this helps you at all because I am not sure if you are using RCAs at all. I am guessing not since you are using that installation kit, but I could be wrong. I am still learning this stuff!

I went from the AVIC-X940 to the AVIC-Z140 and found my system was WAY too loud. Then I read the specs between the two units and saw that the Z140 RCA's put out 4V versus the X940 2V and I think that was the difference. So I had to turn down each channel on my Amps by about 50%. I am a real novice on these car stereos, but I assume that is why the volume went WAY up on mine when just swapping the head unit.

I am not sure if this helps you at all because I am not sure if you are using RCAs at all. I am guessing not since you are using that installation kit, but I could be wrong. I am still learning this stuff!

I have the factory Bose system, I wonder if the amp can be adjusted?

I have the factory Bose system, I wonder if the amp can be adjusted?

Depends on the car and the vehicle to aftermarket radio interface.

My GTO (which needed no interface) has a "gain" knob on the amp. My Corvette which has an interface has an adjustment knob on the interface.

Depends on the car and the vehicle to aftermarket radio interface.

My GTO (which needed no interface) has a "gain" knob on the amp. My Corvette which has an interface has an adjustment knob on the interface.

So you are still using the Bose amp? I switched to an Alpine 5-channel since I was told by also the Vette audio gurus that it would sound horrible otherwise. I thought you swapped yours all out in the end too....or am I confusing you with someone else on the Vette Forums.

So you are still using the Bose amp? I switched to an Alpine 5-channel since I was told by also the Vette audio gurus that it would sound horrible otherwise. I thought you swapped yours all out in the end too....or am I confusing you with someone else on the Vette Forums.

I swapped my speakers out, and the HU. I've retained the stock amp. The sound actually isn't too bad. I've got more bass now and the field sounds much cleaner than the stock system.

I think what a lot of the big audio guys don't like is how the front channel is split into a 3-way instead of a distinct 2-way. Most of the sound comes out of the center speaker and it washes out the "left-right" noticability.

The mono sound in the rear also bothers a lot of people I'd venture.

Well, I'm still having problems with the sound. With the head unit on but the sound on 0 I get static through the speakers. Looked all over the harness and don't see a gain control or anything to adjust the amp volume except for the chimes. I've run a designated ground for the unit and that didn't help........