AVIC411.com

GEX-P20HD and Z110BT (Never touch a working system)

So I got a Z140BH in my Corvette and I was like I like HD radio, so I'm going to add it to my Z110BT which is updated to Z130BT Software. MISTAKE.

The following things happened:

I installed the GEX-P20HD as instructed by removing the IP BUS cable from the HU and plugging it into the BLUE port on the HD Module, then I took the provided IP BUS cable connected the black end to the HD Module and the Blue to the HU. I tapped into the Ground and a Yellow "constant" power lines going into the radio to power the HD unit.

Then I powered everything up. Problem 1, NO HD RADIO on the interface (I still see FM/AM and apparently they shoudl disappear and "tuner" should appear like in my Z140BH). Problem 2, XM now cuts volume in and out.

So I decide to plug the XM module directly back into the radio to trouble shoot it. Now XM is GONE (no longer listed as an option in the scroll menu), and it will NOT RETURN even if I plug the IP BUS cable back into the HD Module. (To verify I've plugged in the XM module directly to the HU and both thru the HD Module)

So now I'm FURIOUS. I have my car in pieces, XM is broken, HD doesn't work, and I can't even return to the previous working state.

What am I doing wrong?

Do I have to "reboot" the radio by unpluging it. I haven't done that yet. I HATE resetting things...

So now I'm 90% sure I somehow fried the IP-BUS input on the radio.

XM Module has 12V

HD Module has 12V

Plugging in only the HD Module via the IP Bus does not show the "HD Tuner"

Plugging in only the XM Module via the IP Bus does not show the "XM Tuner"

I ASSUME there are no issues with my IP-Bus cables, as the XM one worked fine until I messed with it.

So I can only assume it's the radio. How does one get the IP Bus connector tested or fixed?

Do the colors match from the IP-BUS cable to the plug?

Yep.

XM Module has Black into Black. Originally this cable's Blue was connected to the HU's Blue.

I removed the XM Cables Blue end and plugged that into the HD Module's Blue port. Then I plugged the Black into the Black on the HD and the Blue end of that cable into the HU. When I tried to switch back, I removed the XM's Bluie end from the HD module and plugged it into the Blue port on the HU.

So:

Original

HU Blue -> XM Cable Blue -> XM Cable -> XM Cable Black -> XM Module Black

HD Installed (Sound cutting out from XM), no HD on the display

HU Blue -> HD Cable Blue -> HD Cable -> HD Cable Black -> HD Module -> HD Module Blue -> XM Cable Blue -> XM Cable -> XM Cable Black -> XM Module Black

Test 1 remove HD Module (XM disappears now)

HU Blue -> XM Cable Blue -> XM Cable -> XM Cable Black -> XM Module Black

Test 2 remove XM Module, reattach HD (still no HD)

HU Blue -> HD Cable Blue -> HD Cable -> HD Cable Black -> HD Module -> HD Module Blue -> OPEN

Test 3 Reattach everything (no XM no HD) - This is where it sits right now..

HU Blue -> HD Cable Blue -> HD Cable -> HD Cable Black -> HD Module -> HD Module Blue -> XM Cable Blue -> XM Cable -> XM Cable Black -> XM Module Black

I bought it on Amazon.com. It came in the original packaging. I called Pioneer and asked if there was different firmwares floating around they said no. They recommended reseting each module, and connecting them in different ways (as I already had done)

I've got three possibilities right now:

Both IP-Bus cables are somehow "bad"

Both Modules are somehow "bad"

The Radio HU IP Bus input is bad.

(or any combo of those).

I'm putting in the Traffic Tuner this weekend, so I'll tear the car apart again then as of right now I have everything all connected and maybe it will start working? Anyway I'm not MESSING with my Corvette setup as I don't want to break that.

If it is the HU it's $230 for Pioneer to fix it since it's out of Warranty.

I contacted a local shop to see if they can "test" my IP Bus modules and cables. This way I can eliminate those. I don't want to send the unit to Pioneer pay the $230 for them to tell me there isn't a problem....

Called Pioneer again. The Tech Support guy is about as helpful as a pile of crap.

Anyway decided it was best to cut my losses and just remove the HD and XM modules and not have anything on the IP Bus. Bummer, but at least I still have the important stuff.

I did get the traffic tuner installed so that at least makes me happy.

• 7 months later...